The Unraveling review by Rise Against

• Released: Apr 24, 2001
Rise Against: The Unraveling

"The Unraveling" is Rise Against's first ever recording. It was released in April 2001, but has since been re-released with extensive liner notes and two bonus tracks. There are 18 songs in total, and the two bonus songs are called "Join The Ranks" and "Gesthemene." The re-release has been remastered, so the songs sound much better then they would've from the old recording technology of '01. Rise Against really started their own unique blend of punk rock and hardcore punk with this album, and if you're a Rise Against fan, you need to get this CD.

Tim McIlrath is an excellent lyricist, and he writes songs with meaning and feel behind them. A rare thing these days with most punk music. It's good to see an influential punk band like Rise Against actually taking the time to write good lyrics to go along with good music. He has a great singing voice as well as an amazing scream. He's also able to scream while keeping a melody to his voice, which is a very difficult and impressive thing to do. An all-around good singer/songwriter.

This CD is a little too new to be called one of my favorites just yet, but I have no doubt that with time, this will definitely go in my "most listened to" CD pile. Every song on this CD is very good, and I can just put it in my player and let it run. This is always the case with Rise Against CD's, and if you're any kind of punk fan whatsoever, this CD is definitely for you. If lost or stolen, I would buy it again in a second.