Feathergun review by Rishloo

• Released: Dec 7, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Rishloo: Feathergun

Seattle-based progressive art rock band Rishloo have finally hit their stride in their latest release, Feathergun. An unsigned foursome, Rishloo has continuously crafted and re-crafted their sound, shaping an ever-evolving, multi-layered mix of powerful vocals driving, ethereal guitars and pounding drums. Feathergun, the band's third release, captures the band at their best so far, more comfortable with their own identity than they were on the past two albums. Though less dark and moody than past releases, Feathergun still immediately draws comparisons to other prog-rockers like Dredg or Tool. While the band is actively fighting to strike down these direct parallels and instead present themselves as new and unique, at times it is nearly impossible not to simply consider them as Tool lite or diet Dredg. Musically, Feathergun provides something for most kinds of listeners. While there isn't much in the way of spectacular, genre-pushing musicianship, the album still makes for an enjoyable listen. Guitarist David Gillet provides most of the much-needed variety, his effects-drenched guitar work constantly changing styles and sounds. Despite Gillet defining most of the album's high-points, however, Rishloo's sound is dominated by Andrew Mailloux's vocals. Each track has seemingly been mixed down specifically to enhance the effect of the driving, powerful singing, which unfortunately drowns out everything else at times.

As stated before, Mailloux's voice is the driving force behind Rishloo's sound, ranging from an aggressive roar to a surprisingly strong falsetto, an array that is put on full display on songs such as Scissorlips, or River of Glass. While the tone of his voice isn't necessarily unique, it is the pure power that catches the listener's ears Mailloux put every ounce of energy and emotion he can muster into every line he sings. The band members themselves clearly recognize this strength as well, opting to always put the vocals at the forefront of their music, even when they don't quite fit. This emphasis on vocals, while at times a strength, becomes a bit wearing to the listener. While the singing may vary within the individual songs, the album as a whole blends together and begins to drone on and on. Lyrically, Rishloo opts for very introspective writing, aiming to inspire listeners instead of just telling a story. While the depth of their writing is refreshing, at times it seems a bit over-the-top. After several songs, it begins to feel like Rishloo is trying too hard to appear pensive and wise.

At its core, Feathergun is Rishloo's attempt to present unique sound to a growing audience. The album sees the band truly beginning to come into their own, struggling to break free of some of the more obvious comparisons that have been and continue to be made. However, a strong effort alone does not a good album make: ultimately it falls short of truly succeeding in its goal. There is a clear absence of stand-out tracks, and at 60 minutes long, the album is just a bit too much to digest. At best, Feathergun is a definite step in the right direction. While the band's influences are still overtly present in each song, Rishloo is at the very least finally beginning to find their own sound.

Xyzo
    For me the album is definitely a grower, but I like it, I find it better than their previous album. I don't think Feathergun is as bad as the review says, though I understand the fact that opinions can differ so it's just my 2 cents.
    roarinflames
    nemesis_ftw wrote: are there any tabs of Rishloo on Ultimate Guitar?
    there are not, go to their shows and ask dave, he'll show you some of the parts. he's really cool actually, first show i went to he showed me the intro to el empe. (****ing epic)
    Coup de Grace
    6 is pretty good. It's more than average. If 10 is for a absolute masterpiece then 6 is a very okay rating.
    fartsyjoe420
    huevos wrote: While there isnt much in the way of spectacular, genre-pushing musicianship... That really doesn't make sense when they are labeled as progressive/experimental rock. The whole purpose of the said label (especially the latter) is to push the boundaries of music. I'm gunna check out this band. I like me some Dredg here and there. Dreading the Tool comparison though.
    i wouldn't ever compare these guys to tool. it's just an obvious comparison for most people when a progressive & experimental band is good, or so i've found. i don't think they sound like anyone.
    TylerAOH&A7X
    rustymoore91 wrote: they are like a sober mars volta...
    haaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! in a way, most everything now is, if you think about it
    scramblor
    I really dig this band and this album. Their song arrangements can be a bit random at times which makes it hard to listen and get into the first time, but IMO this is a good thing. The vocals and song structures are similar to Tool, but the guitar work is very unique which I would argue makes them stand out from other bands - even on their last album Eidolon.
    huevos
    While there isnt much in the way of spectacular, genre-pushing musicianship...
    fartsyjoe420
    6??? man... even though i'll agree with panasonic3 that alot of reviews are given way too high of scores... 6??? just sayin. this album is sick.
    ptleruuh
    This album deserves more than a 6 imo, even though the songs themselves weren't as captivating and impressive as the ones on Eidolon (couldn't stop listening to that album for 2 days after first hearing it) The production sounds clearer than Eidolon though, that's a plus. Now, if only they'd combine the two on their next record... Perfection. Anyway, this is easily an 8 for me. But then again, I like the weird time signatures and 'pensive and wise' lyrics.
    Panasonic3
    6 is not low, and is in fact better then average. reviewers tend to give out too high scores on this site, but this was carefully graded and scored. good review and i'll have to check them out.
    xicetraex
    Progis8strings wrote: Hold up! Sound:6 Lyrics:6 Impression:6 666? Sounds pretty brutal to me
    lulz
    The Tak
    for a rating such as low as 6, you did not point out any significant faults. Personally I think this album quite good.
    JD89
    This is great album but it took me a few listens to really get into it. I think Dave's guitar work is really inventive and Drew's vocals are just insane - plus they can pull it off perfectly live