Alone: The Home Recordings Of Rivers Cuomo review by Rivers Cuomo

• Released: Dec 18, 2007
Rivers Cuomo: Alone: The Home Recordings Of Rivers Cuomo

Ok, to be completely honest, the one and only reason I bought this album was for the new Songs From The Black Hole tracks that Rivers has so graciously decided to release, and specifically Superfriend. But after listening to the album I was pleasantly surprised by other songs on the album of scraps and rarities.His raw emotion on "The world We Love So Much" takes me back to the Pinkerton days, back to when he actually still sung with emotion. He goes off-key, his voice scratches, and at times it sounds like he will cry at any second, but that's the beauty of it. The sound on the record, as a whole, is only ok.But, like any rarities collection, it's about the quality of the songs themselves and not so much about sound quality.

It all depends where you look. The first half of the disc has some of his better songs about love and it's hardships, but the second half of the disc seems to have more of a "Make Believe" feel to them lyric-wise. Which isn't good. But, from what the liner notes said about the upcoming album, and that their is to be a 6 minute long opus track, the possibility that he may start exploring a more personal lyrical style again is good.

As a whole, the album has a few missteps, but is well worth the gems that you get, like the remixed "Blast Off!" the rough demo for "Buddy Holly" and early Weezer song "Lemonade". If your a huge Weezer fan (like me), then definetly pickup this album! Even if the non-SFTBH songs aren't your cup of tea, then the release of more of the Weezer "Holy Grail" is reason enough to get it. Myself, all I need are 5 more songs and I'll have all the SFTBH, which sounds like a possibility of happening, since Rivers sounds eager to release another rarities collection.

sparky996
    whosamerica wrote: he also has the money to make it sound good. so why didn't he?
    Because he wanted to leave them in their original form. (remember, this is an album of songs rejected from the albums)