Alone: The Home Recordings Of Rivers Cuomo review by Rivers Cuomo

• Released: Dec 18, 2007
Rivers Cuomo: Alone: The Home Recordings Of Rivers Cuomo

Well upon getting this album I was excited to finally hear the unreleased songs from the "Songs from the Black Hole" the unreleased Weezer album that has been called "A lost masterpiece". But anyway. The album starts off with "Ooh" which is nothing but an intro of "Ooh" it moves onto "The World We Love So Much" which has a really nice acoustic feel to it but Rivers singing is a bit odd if he is trying to be soulful. Several tracks later it moves onto "Buddy Holly" a Weezer classic though no idea why it was on this. But then a few tracks later finally onto the SFTBH tracks and my attention really is grabbed from the moment "Blast Off!" comes on and it really is nothing like I'd ever expect Rivers to pull off so well (this goes for all the SFTBH tracks on this album). "Superfriend" & "Lover In The Snow" are possibly my favourite tracks off this album, with "I Was Made For You" closing the album off very nicely.

Not much to say about Rivers with lyrics, always very catchy, simplicity and romantising at their best. Myself I think Rivers voice really does some of the lines justice. "What the hell am I doing/ Thinking with my willy? / Knowing I don't love her/ I tell her no, Then kiss her toes" it's really not the sort of lyrics you could see any other sort of singer pull off without the song turning into a massive joke.

Well compared to Weezers albums, it's no where near as great with production but these are demos and some of the best material I've heard from the front man. "Superfriend", "Lover in the Snow" & "Wanda (You're My Only Love)" are probably the best tracks on this album of unheard gems. I really couldn't fault this album apart from production wise, but like I said these as only demos so that really shouldn't cloud judgement anyway. If it were stolen/lost I would buy it again, definately worth a place in your collection!