The All-Star Sessions review by Roadrunner United

• Released: Oct 11, 2005
Roadrunner United: The All-Star Sessions

This CD is the 25th anniversary comemmoration of of Roadrunner's life span of releasing records and it was an excellent idea for an album! Basically: the label owner chose 4 team "captains" (Joey Jordison, Robert Flynn, Dino Cazares & Matt Heafy) to be the "leaders" of potential bands. Then for each song that they wrote, they would "recruit" different band members of different bands in order to record the songs. The sound on this album is pretty killer. There are lots of metal sub-genres crossed on it, so a lot of fans of most metal can enjoy this disc in one way or another. The sound is generally sharp and kicks a lot of ass. Great guitar tones, blistering solos throughout from guests such as Jeff Waters from Annihilator & Andy Laroque; famous for his work with King Diamond. The vocals have a great range as well. From falsetto yells (from King Diamond himself) and low death growls from the likes of Glen Benton! And of course, pounding drums courtesy of Joey Jordison and pulsing bass from guys like Steve DiGorgio. Furthermore, this CD comes with a DVD of the recording sessions that took place, which makes it all the sweeter of a buy because it really puts a lot of the album's recording into perspective. In my personal opinion, the general sound of this album just can't be beat. If I hadn't been turned onto it by a friend of mine at a CD shop I go to, I would definitely be missing something. And if you are a metal fan & haven't heard this album yet, then you are too!

The lyrics are intersting. They come with the booklet, but it provides a web site link that'll get you to 'em. It ranges from what I can make out as southern rock/metal to old school black metal falsetto (i.e. King Diamond) all the way to the extreme of death metal (Glen Benton). I like all that stuff, so with the likes of Glen Benton, King Diamond and even Dani Filth; the vocals (and lyrics) to this album turn out to be very effective and impressive for the most part.

This is like a "super album." Kind of like an album full of 18 little supergroups, formed around the same 4 guys. This is really a gem of an album in my opinion. The first 4 or 5 songs are definitely the most impressive to me: "The Dagger", "The Enemy", "Annihilation At Th Hands Of God" & "In The Fire." I love most of the songs, but there are a few that don't seem in place (which I won't name), but other than that, the majority of this album is pretty cool. And of course, since this album comes with a DVD & costs the price of about a regular CD these days, I would most certainly replace it if it were damaged or stolen.

Shreddin 4 Life
    Truly a great album I don't see how any metal fan could be disappointed with the whole album...there's so many sub-genres covered!
    blakiss
    Its a Really good album from what ive heard, The End Is an amazing song, and i love the music of In The Fire, but sorry to all King Diamond Fans, i cant stand how high he sings, it disturbs me and creeps me out