Cradlesong review by Rob Thomas

• Released: Jun 30, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 2.7 Junky
Rob Thomas: Cradlesong

Rob Thomas follow's up his 2005 solo debut, "...something to be", with his new release, "Cradlesong". Much like his last album, the new one is a complete left turn from anything we are used to hearing from MB20. This album left me scratching my head a bit. How can someone who has written some of the most solid music of the past decade put out something so bad? There are maybe 3 songs out of the 14 on the album that are worth listening to (Real World '09, Still Ain't Over You, and It's Getting Late). The rest sound like a weak ass attempt to be Timberlake. I get that musicians like to change it up a bit and not repeat the same old thing over and over. But, when you listen to everything Rob Thomas has been apart of (Tabitha's Secret, MB20, "Smooth"), you wonder where the hell this came from.

Songwriting has always been Thomas' strong suit. People can say what they want, but Rob Thomas can write. The lyrics of this album are pretty good. Nothing really jumps out and makes you think about what the hell he's trying to get across, but they are by no means bad. The problem is, the music that surrounds the lyrics is what's bad. Too much electronics and effects. I would love to hear Rob Thomas do an album with just him and a guitar like Jakob Dylan did with "Seeing Things". I love what this guy has to say most of the time, but I can't get past the bad musical arrangement.

Listening to this album was one of the biggest dissapointments I've had in a long time. On "...something To Be", he had songs that were solid like, Ever the Same, When the Heartache Ends, Problem Girl, and Now Comes the Night. I have tried to listen to this album many, many times. Everytime I do, I end up skipping to the next song about 45 seconds in because I just can't take it. I am a big Rob Thomas fan, but this album is just not good, at all.

CrazehSteve
    I totally disagree with you. I'm not saying the whole album is fantastic, but even the songs you named as strong points are different from the ones I would have thought were the best. I don't think this is a fair review, to be honest.
    cracchiolo
    I strongly disagree rob thomas is an awesome singer/song writter her dimonds was a great song and so was wonderful, snowblind was also a great song. this review was not fair at all i am very upset about this!
    kbrulz
    I wrote this review. I wasn't logged in at the time, but I just wanted to put my name on it so everyone can bash me if they want. I just don't know how you guys can listen to this album and think my review is unfair...it's my opinion. I wish I could have given it a positive review, but I just couldn't.
    pwninator123
    Did you really give the lyrics a 2 because of the music? In what manner does this make sense?
    Aeldc
    WHATT? i listened matchbox twenty for the first time last year and started downloading all the existing songs of them, now i've been downloading all the albums from this guy and i have to say this guys ROCKS and this is my favorite album, lots of his songs are pretty damn good, i totally disagree with this
    RynoV22
    This review is crap. I don't know how you can write a review like this and sleep at night. This album is no less than fantastic. Rob Thomas is a musical God and this is his way of keeping things fresh. It would be a waste of his time to pump out another album just like one of his other ones. This is his way of mixing things up and still making his music amazing. And you obviously didn't listen very closely to the music and lyrics because yes they do have hidden messages and deeper meaning hidden behind what you called "bad" music.