Something To Be Review

artist: Rob Thomas date: 05/02/2005 category: compact discs
Rob Thomas: Something To Be
Released: Apr 19, 2005
Genre: Rock
Having already explored the classic rock thing through his collaborations with Mick Jagger and Santana, Thomas goes the other way here with results that are unexpected and, sometimes, totally unbelievable.
 9.2
 9.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Something To Be Reviewed by: gowdyjames, on may 02, 2005

Sound: Well, he is the lead singer for Matchbox 20 which imediatly made me think - this is going to be good. And I wasn't wrong. The sound is very like Matchbox 20, but you can see where is differs as Rob puts a lot more of himself into this album. All the songs are good and a few (notably: "Lonely No More," "Streetcorner Symphony" and "Now Comes The Night") stand out. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well thought out and there is no needless rhyming that you sometimes get in lesser records. "Here Comes The Night" to me has particulally strong lyrics, it is a really master piece. Rob also has an amazing voice that is almost instantly recognisable and he manages to hit all his notes with amazing precision. // 10

Overall Impression: You could try and compare this with other Matchbox 20 albums but that would be a bit stupid. It is a clear break away by Rob who seems to have had this album builiding up inside of him for a long time. I love how easy it is to listen to; I can listen to it in the backround or I can have it on as headphones and still love every song. The influence and colaboration with Santana is plain to see on the more "dance/pop" like tracks. Overall, great album, great singer, great songs. Not a foot wrong so far from Rob Thomas, lets hope it continues. // 10

Comments