Hellbilly Deluxe 2 review by Rob Zombie

• Released: Feb 2, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Rob Zombie: Hellbilly Deluxe 2

Rob Zombie has finally released his new album, Hellbilly Deluxe 2. This album has much to offer in it's own right, as the sound is different than Educated Horses. However, it still falls short of Zombie's past glory. The opening track, 'Jesus Frankenstein', sounds very promising with it's dark, haunting intro. This song sets the pace for the entire album: good, dark, haunting riffs mixed in with a subpar attempt to recreate his classic sound. John 5 wrote some really good riffs, and they shine in this album. His tone mixes very well with Zombie's voice. His creativity on this album is exactly what 'Educated Horses' was missing. However, his attempt falls short of making this a Zombie classic. Songs like 'Jesus Frankenstein', 'Mars Needs Women', and 'Virgin Witch' have very haunting tones in them, with heavy riffs that harkens back to John 5's solo work, and the melodies have that old Zombie sound. However, the combination of the two still leaves something to be desired. One nice addition to this album is the element John 5 brings in his solos. Short and sweet, each solo complements it's song. 'Virgin Witch' especially has a perfect union with it's solo. Furthermore, this album has infused a seemingly punk rock element to it. 'What?' and 'Dream Factory' both have John 5 playing a very punk-driven rhythm with Zombie singing in a comparable style. Overall, I think this is a decent album. It's definitely more 'Zombie' than 'Educated Horses' was in sound. However, it still falls short of Rob Zombie's former sound, and is a sub-par attempt at recreating it.

Rob Zombie is still himself. His vocals on this album are still his signature sound. The lyrics all take on Zombie's classic songwriting style: horror elements, the macabre, and a dark carnival feel. As far as transforming those lyrics into melodies, however, Zombie has let fans down. His voice is constantly the same throughout the album. While many would argue his voice never had dynamics, he at least varied chorus structures and such. On this album, almost every song has painstakingly similar arrangements from a lyrical standpoint. Songs like 'Sick Bubblegum', 'Mars Needs Women', and 'Werewolf Baby' all have very similar structures for the chorus: Sing the title over and over. In the past, Zombie infused many phrases in his choruses throughout the album, and only a handful of songs on Hellbilly Deluxe 2 have this trait. For the most part, Zombie voice is still good. It's just no longer innovative and creative.

All in all, this album will neither impress nor let down Zombie fans. Do not hope for a return to the sound Zombie developed with his first 'Hellbilly Deluxe', but also expect a slight improvement from the thin sound that 'Educated Horses' gave. Many songs on here are enjoyable, like 'Mars Needs Women', and some are even impressive, such as 'Virgin Witch'. Mainly, the music is more enjoyable than Zombie's singing, which is a major drawback to the album. If I lost this album, chances are I'd spend my money on getting the Deluxe version of the original 'Hellbilly' rather than repurchasing this one.

magneto6
    This album is awesome! I was 14 when I heard Hellbilly Deluxe and this is good because it also incorporated elements from Educated Horses.
    jacob911363
    guitarabei
    I CAME FROM CHINA , BUT I KNOW ROB ZOMBIE.I LOVE HIMAND JOHN 5.THEY ARE AWESOME GUYS.METAL IS FOREVEVR!JOHN 5 WAS A GUITAR MASTER IN MARILYN MANSON 'S BAND .HE CAN DO EVERYTHING WHEN HE PLAYS GUITAR .I LOVE THE BAND (ROB ZOMBIE).YOU CAN GET A LOT OF EFFECT SOUND(GUITAR).SO I LOVE THEM !YOU ARE AWESOME !ROB ZOMBIE BAND!!!METAL !! METAL!!!METAL!!!!
    GeneJacket
    I would be terribly disappointed in "Hellbilly Deluxe 2", but following the fantastic "Sinister Urge" everything Zombie's done has been complete and utter crap. John 5 is an absolutely amazing guitarist, though listening to this album you'd never know it. Most of the songs play out in straight power chords, which wouldn't be a problem if they weren't all so repetitive and downright boring. Zombie's voice sounds decent enough, but he's lost the growl he once had, and the music suffers because of it. The lyrics here are also some of the worst he's written to date, with most songs contempt to just repeat the title over and over, ad nauseum. The production is also a problem, as a record like this needs to sound dirty and raw, but the songs are so polished they completely lose their edge and start to blend together. After such a long hiatus from music, I expected so much more from a collaboration between Zombie and John 5. 3 out of 10.
    Kainen j
    I aboslutely agree wtih Green Jacket. I'm a huge John 5 fan and a huge WHITE ZOMBIE fan (and I also like about 8 songs from all of rob zombie albums combined) and I was heavily dissapointed with this album. You wouldn't know much difference between the crap playing of riggs and blasko vs John 5 and Piggy on this record. Like I said I'm a huge John 5 fan - I play most of his songs on youtube and love the production piggy is usually involved in but this album has a unimaginative vibe, sluggish and wastefull qualities. I could the later tracks 7-9 to be my favorite and I don't remember ANYTHING worthwhile from my first two listens of tracks 1-6. I always usually look forward to those zombie album having kick ass opening numbers and this one FAILED miserbly and continued to throughout. Sorry not for me. Can't wait for John 5's new solo record because he has let me down yet. All his solo CDs are badass to the bone. Get those instead
    Kainen j
    I'd also like to add La Sexorcisto and Astro Creep are light years better than anything Rob Zombie has released. White Zombie > Rob Zombie all day, no question. We miss you "J" who was the original guitar player.
    Rocker396
    Original was better. But oh well this is cool too. Not quite as dark or heavy but its still ok
    SawGuru
    One thing I wonder is why everyone talks about it's sound towards Hellbilly vs. Educated, and then say it's his best since Hellbilly. Have we all forgotten Sinister Urge? That was a great album. Personal favorite.
    SawGuru
    jacob911363 : I hate how some people are criticizing Rob for music, give the guy a break, he hasn't released an album in about 4 years, also he's been experimenting with a lot of things. He's doing what he likes to do best, why let anyone tell YOU different?
    We aren't saying don't do anything different. We're saying do it well. This, is neither. It's not different: it's a poor attempt at being what once was. And it's certainly not done well.
    jacob911363
    That's true, but personally this album is alright. I agree it's not the best thing he's done. The one thing that bothers me about this record is mainly the song "What?"....wtf is that?
    Mainer
    GenerationKILL wrote: rob zombies' best album ever!
    NO, HD2 was...not great. Mars Needs Women, and Jesus Frankenstien are the only songs I really liked. Sinister Urge was much better
    I zombie
    I use to listen to zombie music and want to punch someone in the face and drive my car threw a wal-mart....but here lately I just want to gently pat someone on the back and drive lazily down a country road on a warm Sunday afternoon..what happened?.
    fendercobain87
    zombie is back this is his best album to me it is a mix between devil muisc volume 1 and hellbill deluxe but great album....
    fendercobain87
    i just bought this album i listend to it a little via you tube but this album really sticks out all hail jesus frankenstin!!!!
    zAg1619
    Haunt3dAng3l wrote: The people who say "Go back to films" probably don't realize that Rob was doing music before he started doing his own films lol. Hellbilly Deluxe and The Sinister Urge were great albums. It was far better than the sad attempts at "rock music" polluting the airwaves today. BUT I really did not like this album. I honestly didn't like a single song on it. I'd actually give it a 4 out of 10. I have to say I expected more from Rob and John 5.
    I think a lot of people do know that he was doing music first, but enjoy his movies more.
    TheAbsentOne
    I wasn't even 10 when I first heard Hellbilly Deluxe nearly a decade ago and I bought that album almost right away and still own it, and I'm now 17. He was one of the driving forces behind me getting into metal. I LOVED Hellbilly Deluxe and this album, from what I've heard so far, seems to be good as well. It's great that he's kinda gone back to his roots, and went away from the Educated Horses sound (Although I don't mind that album) but his earlier work was a better, and I'm glad he's changed back.
    Bair
    ^Yah, you're right. I work there and theres a massive platinum record thing out front of the studio that was given to the school by him.
    shAttErEd*fOcUs
    The original Hellbilly Deluxe was recorded in London Ontario at the Fanshawe College studios. My dude went through their usic industry arts program, so we got to use the same freaking studio as Rob. nice uh
    This is the first zombie album i really like. Really awesome guitars and i cant stop listening to this. One of the best albums in a long time. Kthxbye.
    metallifreak77
    I would give it an 8.0. Not an amazing record, a bit dull at times, but the overall vibe is true Zombie from the days we love. A solid release and some great sound. I like it! Could have been better, but it is an improvement.
    scottieaxeman
    you might like this if you like that
    http:/ /www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfknvQb1uCU&feature=related mysp ace.com/nekrowolves
    Haunt3dAng3l
    Krackersmacker
    am i really the only one who noticed the opening riff from Virgin Witch was almost completely lifted from "Freya" by The Sword? listen for yourself
    th is album is only mildly better than Educated Horses.
    SawGuru
    Krackersmacker : am i really the only one who noticed the opening riff from Virgin Witch was almost completely lifted from "Freya" by The Sword?
    LOL. I noticed that on first listen as well. Ironically, it's also my favorite song on the album. Seriously, I think the only difference between the two is the half step down Zombie's is.
    RyoujokuNoAme
    IMO this is Zombie's best since Hellbilly Deluxe. I love it. John 5 Guitar riffs are so good on this CD, better than EH.
    Lou108
    i have only listened to this album once so far, its a good rob zombie album but just seems to be missing something. I loved werewolf woman of the ss, its such a groovy groovy track.
    CLib
    This album is awful, where the **** did rob zombie get the idea to sing about bubblegum?