Past, Present & Future review by Rob Zombie

• Released: Sep 23, 2003
Rob Zombie: Past, Present & Future

Rob Zombie's "best of" compilation: "Past, Present And Future" kicks off with the White Zombie thrash masterpeice "Thunderkiss '65." It pulverizes like Megadeth or Slayer, rocks a hard, catchy, memorable riff that would make Black Sabbath fans happy, and refreshingly remembers to have fun and groove as hard and deep as an early Clutch recording. Tracks like "Thunderkiss '65" are representative of the White Zombie years in good ol' Rob's career, and are impossible not to head-bang to. Unfortunately, this quality alternative-thrash metal isn't covered well enough in "Past Present and Future". Instead, we get a handful of masterful White Zombie songs, and a whole lot of good-but-not-great Rob Zombie solo tracks. a lot of the solo work compromises catchy guitar for an over-emphasis on electronic synthesizer effects and sampling, and there are too many novelty covers (two disco hits and a cover of the Ramones "Blitzkrieg Bop"). Also, industrial-atmospherics work with Zombie's shtick metal awkwardly, and spooky tracks like "Hands of Death" feel dreary and mediocre. Zombie's industrial is, as one of Rob's vampiric bowling buddies would likely say: "blah." Let's leave the gothic industrial-rock for Marilyn and Trent Reznor. On the bright side of the solo-spectrum, however, "Superbeast" rocks with fist-pumping testosterone, "Dragula" is a disco-spliced head-banger, and "Living Dead Girl" struts with funky B-Movie swagger.

Rob Zombie's tongue-in-cheek house-o'-horrors lyrics are fun and refreshing after listening to his gloomy "I-hate-my-mom" dispositioned nu metal peers. It gets a tad generic on some tracks, but usually they're imaginative and never boring. His singing, while not exactly pretty or melodic, is gravely, powerful, and distinctive. Excellent for rowdy moshpits.

Overall, "Past, Present, and Future" is a decent overview of a great band and it's frontman's not-as-great-but-still-fairly-good attempts at going solo. I do wish there were more White Zombie tracks included (where are "Grease Paint and Monkey Brains" and "Welcome to Planet Motherf--ker") but there are still enough hard-rockin', grooveable riffs and campy lyrics to keep you entertained between "Tales From The Crypt" re-runs.

Funyun
    This was an AWESOME Cd I didn't really like Feed the Gods though
    darthluke1
    did you write this without looking at the keyboard?
    noobiepro1996
    darthluke1 wrote: Rob is very unique like I said before. There's some really good tunes on the album and theres some not so good one. Rob shouldn't stayed to what he did best, metal. Some good songs are Thunderkiss 65', Dracula, Super-charged Heaven, More Human Than Human, Living Dead Girl, Demonid Phnomenon, Spookshow Baby, Return Of The Phantom Stanger, and Super Beast. Some of those are videos though theres 2 disce on this album. One disc is songs and another is music videos, some of the videos are hailous! I defintaly recomed getting this album. I hate the pop music he put on it though, and his cover of bizter bop by Ramones or whatever the songs called (sorry I hate The Ramones). But other than that pick this up if you a diehard or a new Zombie fan you'll love it! Other than the pop songs. // 8 did you write this without looking at the keyboard?
    HAHA +1