Colorblind review by Robert Randolph & The Family Band

• Released: Sep 26, 2006
Robert Randolph & The Family Band: Colorblind

Colorblind kicks you straight in the head as soon as it opens with "Ain't Nothing Wrong With That", a pounding, percussion-driven song about peace. This album shows off Robert Randolph's ability once again, as well as their amazing bassist Danyel Morgan. The Family Band comes into this album with a new organ/piano player, Jason Crosby, who definitiely has what it takes to be in this excellent band. Listening to "Thrill Of It", you can hear them all show off their amazing talents. Not to mention the insane bass on "Homecoming" and the crazy guitar solos with Eric Clapton on the cover of "Jesus Is Just Alright". This album gets an 8 for sound however, because there is too much softness on this album, and it just doesn't seem very Robert Randolph. 90% of this album, however, will keep you bouncin' all day.

The lyrics in this album seem much more spiritual than on their last album, 'Unclassified'. What with "Deliver Me" and "Blessed", it would seem that Robert spent a lot of time back in his church in Jersey before coming to make this album. I'm much more impressed with these lyrics than the ones on 'Unclassified'. Singing wise, it seems that Randolph's voice has more authority to it than before, and Danyel's uncannily high-pitched voice is in top form.

Since musicianship has basically disappeared in the past 5 or 6 years, Robert Randolph & The Family Band have been my salvation. Randolph's extremely innovative and rockin' use of the pedal steel guitar just makes you wanna get up and jump around. I have not been fortunate enough to see him live yet, so this album will have to hold me over until I do. With songs like "Ain't Nothing Wrong WIth That", "Deliver Me", "Thrill Of It", and "Homecoming", I think I'll survive. Do not download this album! They deserve your cash!

Dukefan25
    i completely agree. musicianship is completely gone and i too have come to follow the family band in this time of music "depression". im hoping to see them this summer at green bay but until them i just 'get up and jumpr around', as you said, to their 3 cd's
    spyder52
    Just got tickets to see them this summer!!! Just picked up this album and it is fantastic. I love the first 2 songs and track 9 the most!!