Colorblind Review

artist: Robert Randolph & The Family Band date: 10/18/2006 category: compact discs
Robert Randolph & The Family Band: Colorblind
Release Date: Sep 26, 2006
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Blues-Rock, Deep Funk, Funk, Rock & Roll, Modern Electric Blues, Blues Gospel, Black Gospel, Contemporary Gospel, Southern Gospel
Colorblind is the record some bands never reach the maturity to make, and the Family Band has pulled this together on just their second studio outing.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Colorblind Reviewed by: theexperience13, on october 18, 2006

Sound: Colorblind kicks you straight in the head as soon as it opens with "Ain't Nothing Wrong With That", a pounding, percussion-driven song about peace. This album shows off Robert Randolph's ability once again, as well as their amazing bassist Danyel Morgan. The Family Band comes into this album with a new organ/piano player, Jason Crosby, who definitiely has what it takes to be in this excellent band. Listening to "Thrill Of It", you can hear them all show off their amazing talents. Not to mention the insane bass on "Homecoming" and the crazy guitar solos with Eric Clapton on the cover of "Jesus Is Just Alright". This album gets an 8 for sound however, because there is too much softness on this album, and it just doesn't seem very Robert Randolph. 90% of this album, however, will keep you bouncin' all day. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album seem much more spiritual than on their last album, 'Unclassified'. What with "Deliver Me" and "Blessed", it would seem that Robert spent a lot of time back in his church in Jersey before coming to make this album. I'm much more impressed with these lyrics than the ones on 'Unclassified'. Singing wise, it seems that Randolph's voice has more authority to it than before, and Danyel's uncannily high-pitched voice is in top form. // 10

Overall Impression: Since musicianship has basically disappeared in the past 5 or 6 years, Robert Randolph & The Family Band have been my salvation. Randolph's extremely innovative and rockin' use of the pedal steel guitar just makes you wanna get up and jump around. I have not been fortunate enough to see him live yet, so this album will have to hold me over until I do. With songs like "Ain't Nothing Wrong WIth That", "Deliver Me", "Thrill Of It", and "Homecoming", I think I'll survive. Do not download this album! They deserve your cash! // 10

Comments