Bridge of Sighs review by Robin Trower

• Released: Jan 1, 1974
Robin Trower: Bridge of Sighs

As you may know, may not know, whatever, Bridge Of Sighs is the most famous album by blues guitarist Robin Trower and his band. If you don't know who Robin Trower is, let me explain: compared to other blues players of the '60s and '70s (like SRV, Hendrix, etc.) he is relatively unknown. He is inspired by the passion of Hendrix and a little by the sound of him and SRV, but by no means does he sound like either of them. Blues-rock done the right way with a sick amount of groove, by arguably one of the most talented players on the Fender roster.

Typical bluesy lyrics at times, well-enough written for me I guess. But the singer(I wish I could remember his name right now) brings his own unique sound to the mix, you couldn't imagine anyone else doing it as well as him. He makes the lyrics work very well with Robin's playing.

Robin Trower is his own style, there really aren't a lot of comparisons you can make of him and other artists of the same time. There's hardly anything on here that I dislike, and if someone stole it I would dig up a new one ASAP and clock the poor sucker who did it. All the songs are great, but some standouts are the title track and my personal favorite, "Too Rolling Stoned."

LeDaemon
    He had some good guitar work in his first band Procal Harum before he left them and went solo.
    leeabbott
    Peter8355
    A classic album if there ever is one. The UK's Melody Maker mag said at the time of the album's release that "Jimi Hendrix is alive and well and living in Robin Trower" - I still have that mag in my collection!! I believe the singer was the bassist - Reg Isidor who has sadly passed away to that great gig in the sky!! I'm told that Robin himself lives just a couple of miles away from me so I should pluck up the courage to meet and he can sign my albums for me!! Thanks, Pete
    hawk5211
    leeabbott wrote: SRV into the 60's ? You' re sure ? Anyway, Trower was great. Your review brings back a lot of good memories ...
    no, SRV wasn't big untill the 80's, in the 70's even he way just a blues player doing the clubs in Texas
    nikh158
    Saw Trower play last night and he`s as good as ever. the "new" singer sounds remarkably similar to Dewar although no-one can match the soul in that man`s voice. also, the singer looks bizarrely like some kind of bad club singer; He looks as if should be singing "Lying Eyes" in some dodgy working man`s club. Trower has a unique guitar sound; He has the OCD on permanantly and uses the Wah-Wah a lot. The only problem I have with him is that he basically has two songs: The slow one and the slightly faster one, so many of the songs sound very similar.
    jorlitta
    His first album, "Twice Removed From Yesterday", was the one that got me hooked.