Live From Camp X-Ray review by Rocket From the Crypt

• Released: Oct 22, 2002
Rocket From the Crypt: Live From Camp X-Ray

There were two major clues that gave me an impression of what Rocket From The Crypt may sound like. The first was the outstanding "I'm Not Invisible" featuring on an Atticus compilation I'd borrowed from a friend. Being the kind of label you'd associate with emo/punk/hardcore, I could guess what to expect before even hearing a song. "I'm Not Invisible" was enough to warrant further listening, so I picked up this album. The title "Live From Camp X-Ray" also suggests a punk/political edge, which is confirmed by listening to any of the other tracks on the album. Put simply, it's as raw as a scotsman's arse, and sounds like The Bronx mixed with Less Than Jake (there are horns in many of the songs).

Punk bands aren't well known for their lyrical genius, and this album is no exception. With track titles such as "Bucket of Piss" and "I Can't Feel My Head", perhaps it's fairly ridiculous to expect anything extraordinary. That said, I've heard plenty worse, and simplicity can often be the best policy. The singer has a good voice, which blends nicely with the music and is also easy to listen to.

It's a good modern punk album. No doubt about it. Sure, it gets a bit samey after a while, but it's short, sweet, piss 'n' vinegar punk. Once you've heard one song, you've heard them all. The best tracks are "I'm Not Invisible", "I Can't Feel My Head" and "I Wanna Know What I Wanna Know". I'd most likely consider buying it again, although not at such a high price. It's worth buying if you're into ska/modern punk.