Hypnotize review by System of a Down

System of a Down: Hypnotize
  • Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,153 votes)

This is one of those head ache inducing CDs that makes your ears bleed after continued listening. I love it! Serj's voice is especially unique, and Daron plays a major role in the vocals on this CD. The political allegories are still present, some are in your face, some are hidden. Either way, you will find them. I'd usually save this for the end of the review, but I love this CD!

You know my style. Break it down now! 01. Attack! - holy! The intro to this song is really cool - Daron's guitar playing is a sign of the amazing, awe-striking, musical talent that is to come. Serj gets his point across rather bluntly, I think. I'm going to try to avoid quoting too much, my quote keys are sticking lately. But you can find the lyrics anywhere, this song rocks! 02. Dreaming - yet another one. This is one of the first head ache inducing tracks on the CD. But let me tell you, it's worth it! Serj's voice totoally doesn't fit the music, then when the background vocals hop it, it gets even weirder. But I'll tell you what, when just Daron sings, sort of the break down, it's truly amazing. 03. Kill Rock 'N Roll - there's a story behind this. Daron was heading out one night and he killed a rabbit. He felt really bad, but he couldn't stop to bury it, being in a rush. So when he returned home later that night, the rabbit's mate was sitting next to it. Daron said he felt so guilty that he had to make a song. That gives us Kill Rock 'N Roll, since he named the rabbit Rock 'N Roll. Remember: Accidents happen in the dark. 04. Hypnotize - the first true masterpiece of the album is this track. The first verse mentions Tiananmen Square, I'd suggest looking into it for those that don't know what happened. But anyway, this is an excellent track, Daron kicks butt, Shavo kicks butt, Serj and John kick butt. Get my drift? 05. Stealing Society - yeah! Oh right! There's something about this track I can't quite put my finger on, but it's amazing. Daron breaks it down a bit again, and Serj keeps singing. A nice mix, sort of a acid induced harmony. 06. Tentative - another head ache inducing track. Somehow addictive. I found myself with my CD player on repeat when I first got this CD for this track. It's got a good message behind it. 07. U-Fig - deception. This track sounds like it'll be normal. Then here comes Serj screaming his lungs out, haha! It's probably the only absolutely annoying track on the CD, but it's still not bad. 08. Holy Mountains - this is somehow a beautiful song. Only because of the meaning. During the Armenian genocides the Turks hid in some mountains, taking refuge. I'm not sure why they are referred to as the Holy Mountains, but they are. 09. Vicinity of Obscenity - all I can say is: What the hell? Totally weird! I quote: Banana banana banana terrecotta, banana banana banana terrecotta pie. Someone was stoned, huh? Hahaha! It's a good song, the break down is good. So are the guitars. 10. She's Like Heroin - this song is about prostitution and how we sell humans for drugs. Selling ass for heroin. 11. Lonely Day - excellent song! The solo in this is something I admire to this day. I don't play electric, only acoustic. But when I find the funds to buy an electric, I will learn this solo. If nothing else, this song makes the CD worth buying. 12. Soldier Side - this is Part II to the original Soldier Side off of Mezmerize. It's a good closing for the CD, and it's an amazing song in and of itself.

This is a killer CD! It's short, though. 35 minutes, I believe. But worth every cent you'd pay to buy it. If you can manage to buy the dual-disc, buy it, but also buy a single sided disc. My dual-disc is scratched to hell, eventhough I keep it in its case. However the making of and the videos are awesome. I'd say pick this up. If I lost this CD, I'd buy another one, trust me. Why are you still reading this? Go buy this CD!

Trending reviews

comments policy
    Swinger
    I think if your gonna rock then you better know how, like these guys do!
    humpacow6
    to the s@*! faces who believe lonely day, kill rock and roll, and Darons singing suck may all burn in hell.
    sk8r_boi
    HELL YES! Daron is a very good singer and not in the least bit annoying. Best SOAD album yet.
    sk8r_boi
    what the hell is that guy talking about getting a slice of pizza from the fridge?
    dicer4
    you guys are fags, soad is ****in amazing but listen to heavier must, may i suggest kilswitch engage!!!