Rodrigo Y Gabriela review by Rodrigo y Gabriela

• Released: Feb 19, 2006
Rodrigo y Gabriela: Rodrigo Y Gabriela

Unbelievably I appear to be the first to write about these people. Basically, it's a bloke and a girl from Mexico City who used to be metal heads of some sort, but sold all their gear and bought some acoustics. What a career move! What is contained in this album can only be described as a high octane fusion of latino rhythms, folk and metal. Everything rolls along at a rollocking pace and it just leaves you breathless. Mostly the stuff on the album is their own, but their metal roots show through with covers of 'Stairway' and Metallica's 'Orion' which even my brother (a die hard Metallica junkie) admits is hot. Keep an eye out for them, at the time of writing they are in the middle of a tour of Britain, and will be heading across the pond by the end of the year.

This is a wholly instrumental album so I'll say a thing or two about the way they play here instead. It's unlike anything I've heard before, a melting pot of just about everything you can legally do to a guitar to get a sound out of it. They both play guitar, and the technique and speed is astounding. If you get the album, there's a note in it somewhere that says all the percussive sounds is them and there guitars, nothing else, even though at times it sounds like they've got an army of drummers with them. The odd bit of fiddling and slide guitar pops in from time to time further enhancing their sonic spectrum, though it seems mindblowing that in the main it is just two guitars.

Of the nine songs on the album, my personal favourites are 'Orion' and 'Tamacun' which opens the album and pretty much sets the scene for the most stunning audio journey of your lifetime. I can't think of anything about this album that I don't like (though admittedly it does seem to be rather pricey, everywhere I've seen it it's been at least 12 of our British pounds, but well worth it). It didn't leave my CD player for about 10 days after I got it it is that hot. This is by far the best album of the last 10 years at least. I know I sound like I'm on their payroll giving them a clean sweep of 10s and raving about them, but believe me, this is an album you'll never believe you lived without!

TomleHat
    wildchild6660 wrote: On record, they're pretty good. Live, they are MINDBLOWING.
    lol - rodrigo himself has said he plays the songs the same way live as he does on the album (which is no bad thing!)
    unclemoe
    Ive seen them tonnes of times in the olympia in dublin - they started out busking on grafton st. Theyre incredibly talented.
    xj3ewok
    these guys need more exposure. they can really rip a classical guitar and thats not easy.
    masterblaster
    I love these guys. I hope they come to Aust. really, really soon. Their live album is awesome aswell. They've got a new cd comin out this year i think. SWEET
    MyLibido
    this band is so amazing!! seriously, there isnt a song on the ablum that isnt good and the dvd that comes with it is awesome. i cant believe they're mainstream though but there still wayy underrated.
    brokenanthem
    I started listening to these guys last summer and took the song Foc to my guitar instructor here. It blew his mind. We sat in the lesson room for hours just listening to 5-10 seconds at a time figuring it out. I can play the rythm and lead part and it's HARD as hell. It took a couple of weeks of solid practice to build the technique needed. They're awesome. 5/5
    demonmouse500
    They are awesome, I got the CD for Christmas. I play the lead part of what I can play and/or can't but try to... But I'm totally in awe of Gabriela.
    pwninator123
    i pity Rolling Stone magazine and their 1-star review of these guys Rolling Stone can suck it