Amused To Death review by Roger Waters

• Released: Sep 1, 1992
Roger Waters: Amused To Death

The sound overall was really well done, I do believe it was recorded with quadrophonic sound so it sounds fantastic on a good system, where Pros and cons of hitch-hiking was recorded as holophonics which is meant for headphones. Jeff Beck played guitar on this album, very good work on it. I never really got into Jeff Beck, but he helps bring Waters' album to life here. Don Henley guest vocals on "Watching TV" and Flea recorded an upbeat bass line for the title track but never used (not really relevant but good trivia though nonetheless).

The lyrics are very political but they aren't generic because he targets specific issues and like tieneman square on tv, George Bush, and Andrew Lloyd weber. They flow well with the concept of the album, which is a monkey watching TV which is a metaphor meaning we're the monkey and the world is the TV. Roger's voice was ok, like his voice sounded a little pained but adds to the album and he can still hit those high notes for example "Too much rope".

This album is better than "Radio KAOS" and I think it's as good as "Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking" and on par with "The final cut". I liked the "What god wants" tracks, "Too much rope", "Watching TV", "Bravery of being out of range". Hell, The whole album stands out really well. I really cherish this album because, I spent many long bus rides home from school listening to this awesome album. I got for Christmas and I didn't really care for it at first but than I saw a video from the album and I was like I'll give this album a shot. I did and I'm glad I popped it in my CD player. If it were stolen or lost I'd get a new copy.