Ca Ira review by Roger Waters

• Released: Oct 4, 2005
Roger Waters: Ca Ira

This album is great for the Opera fan. Whilst I find Ca Ira an absolutely gorgeous piece of music, if you buy it merely because you are a hardcore Pink Floyd fan you may be disapointed. The score is very melodious yet, at times, vaguely heavy (almost rockish). Waters wrote often using fugues (a musical term for when one person is singing and another singer comes in with a different melody) between the bass-baritone and the tenor, and even the choirs.

The lyrics were origonally written in French. They were then translated by Waters with, obviously, his own flair. The lyrics read aloud are nothing compared to them sung with the orchestra. The bass-baritone, Bryn Terfel, has sung in some of the greatest opera houses (as a bass-baritone myself, I love to sing along with his voice). The Soprano, Ying Huang, sang in the Lord of the Rings; her voice is as soothing as a long massage. The tenor, Paul Groves, has several duets with Bryn Terfel. Ismael Lo was born in Niger and is known as the "one man orchestra." The orchestra was conducted by Rick Wentworth. Three choirs sang in Ca Ira. They were the London Voices, the Italia Childrens Choir, and The London Oratory Choir. All of the choirs were very however the some of the children of the Italia Childrens Choir had one line solos, some of which are less than perfect (put nicely).

This album cannot be compared to Pink Floyd because it is opera. The best songs are The Overature, Kings, Sticks And Birds, The Grievances Of The People, and Silver, Sugar And Indigo. I love everything but some of the cildrens solos. If my copy of Ca Ira were lost, I would by it back in a heartbeat.