Ca Ira Review

Roger Waters: Ca Ira
Release Date: Oct 4, 2005
Label: Sony International
Genres: Prog-Rock/Art Rock
There are no guitar solos, no rock elements whatsoever, and Roger doesn't sing on it, either, but Roger has done an incredible job here.
 7.9
 8.9
 6.8
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Ca Ira Reviewed by: strat6guy, on november 09, 2005

Sound: This album is great for the Opera fan. Whilst I find Ca Ira an absolutely gorgeous piece of music, if you buy it merely because you are a hardcore Pink Floyd fan you may be disapointed. The score is very melodious yet, at times, vaguely heavy (almost rockish). Waters wrote often using fugues (a musical term for when one person is singing and another singer comes in with a different melody) between the bass-baritone and the tenor, and even the choirs. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were origonally written in French. They were then translated by Waters with, obviously, his own flair. The lyrics read aloud are nothing compared to them sung with the orchestra. The bass-baritone, Bryn Terfel, has sung in some of the greatest opera houses (as a bass-baritone myself, I love to sing along with his voice). The Soprano, Ying Huang, sang in the Lord of the Rings; her voice is as soothing as a long massage. The tenor, Paul Groves, has several duets with Bryn Terfel. Ismael Lo was born in Niger and is known as the "one man orchestra." The orchestra was conducted by Rick Wentworth. Three choirs sang in Ca Ira. They were the London Voices, the Italia Childrens Choir, and The London Oratory Choir. All of the choirs were very however the some of the children of the Italia Childrens Choir had one line solos, some of which are less than perfect (put nicely). // 8

Overall Impression: This album cannot be compared to Pink Floyd because it is opera. The best songs are The Overature, Kings, Sticks And Birds, The Grievances Of The People, and Silver, Sugar And Indigo. I love everything but some of the cildrens solos. If my copy of Ca Ira were lost, I would by it back in a heartbeat. // 9

Ca Ira Reviewed by: ChaosZeppelin21, on may 08, 2006

Sound: One word describes this masterpiece. Wow. I never realized Roger Waters, the man who can help create such great rock albums, could write music for an orchestra so well. I was hesitant of buying this album at first because it is an opera, but I don't regret it. The sound is thickly structured and produces great imagery. // 10

Lyrics: I was a little disappointed that Roger Waters didn't actually write the lyrics for this. He took a libretto about the French Revolution that were, naturally, in French, and translated them into English with his own flair. Even though he didn't actually write them, they are still very great lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: This album was a first for me. I never thought I would even consider picking up an opera, but when I realized it was written by a man that has created some of my favorite rock albums of all time I had to pick it up. If you are going to purchase this album, get the deluxe edition. It has 2-CDs, a "making of" DVD, and a 60 page booklet. Do not hesitate to buy this; you will not regret it. // 9

Comments