Aealo review by Rotting Christ

• Released: Feb 15, 2010
Rotting Christ: Aealo

I've never listened to Rotting Christ before this album. I mostly assumed they were geared towards original but mostly very basic Black Metal judging by their history. But yet again, I find myself taken aback by the evolution bands like this take, like Darkthrone going from black metal to crossover thrash/speed metal. Aealo is another good example, it shows how a bands origin can have a distinct impact on sound. Instead of being just black metal, they've added a very large dose of folk music to their sound. Its also influenced somewhat by melodic death metal which can heard through the heavy palm muting, melodic riffing and also a more normal song structure. Eluveitie, Chthonic and Ensiferum all bring different styles of folk music to their sound, so what do Rotting Christ do? They bring traditional folk melodies and, wierd as it sounds, traditional greek singers (the bands greek, obviously) and instruments (some sort of flute/pipe instrument). Its an odd combination, that works pretty well after listening to the album for a few times if you appriciate folk metal. Production wise, its a bit hit and miss. While most black metal acts don't tend to use a top quality production, Rotting Christ attempt a good effort, and for the most part its pretty good. The few issues are that the guitars have very weak distortion and sound incredibly thin. The bass is audible and the drum tone is clear, but the guitar sound just makes it a little underwhelming. While the idea of folk metal isnt a new idea in any way, their is certainly less than a handfull of bands that can incorporate such a style as greek folk music. Its a very interesting purchase and something to look into.

Sakis Tolis (vocals, guitar) has a very, uh, unique vocal style. Its not really a black metal scream/shriek or growl, nor is it particularly deep, its more of a basic bark. He does show a deep clean vocal range though, much like Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquility): An example would be on the song 'Thou Art Lord'. The lyrics on 'Aealo' aren't particularly complex, mostly to do with fighting and battles (like a lot of black/folk metal). They do hold a certain characteristic about them that is uplifting though, mostly in what I would call the 'spirit of folk'. You just get a rustic sense from listening to it. Taken from the track 'Eon Aeanaos' just to relate to what I've said: Won by our fathers soldiers Won with offerings and blood Blaze in each countenance Spring thresh and fire the battle But theres more: The use of female singers using a traditional style. This is particularly prevelant on the title track/first song. While the style is a little.. hard to get used to, it keeps the melody flowing and the music sounding fresh.

Most of the time, when comparing folk metal bands, you can only do it to bands with other folk styles, like Eluveitie's celtic/gaul influence. Most of the time, it will be comparing how well the band incorporate the styles of metal and folk together. Rotting Christ have had a very good crack at it, and the results are good. While not really anything at all like their previous releases. The production is clearer, the melody has been fully incorporated and the black metal template has been fused with a big chunk of folk. The only real problem is the guitar recording. Its just so thin that the palm muting sounds like one guy playing from 20 metres away. This can best be heard in the track '...Pir Threonti'. I'd say it sort of has a razor-y qualitity to it much like the Gothenburg 'buzz saw' tone but its just not as good. Overall though, I'm really taken by this album. I've never known such a prominent band to have such a diverse sound change, save Amorphis. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, but of course modern technology gives us the MP3. And I suggest this album to anyone who is a fan of folk/melodic death/melodic black metal.

E.harley
    yeah, i agree also
    needtoskate12 wrote: dopelope wrote: Gay name just to get the attention of atheist and to piss off christians. true.
    EpiExplorer
    henkka_potku wrote: Terrible review.
    ispeelgood
    how is the word gay supposed to offend the band's name Also Great band, great album. Greek power
    mairoula
    Come on you guys, are you serious? You judge a band by it's name? I've been listening Rotting Christ since their early beginning. I know all their songs, and to be honest, i have listened the majority of that kind's bands. Rotting Christ is not a Black Metal band anymore... They combine successfully greek folk music with Heavy metal. And they provide a very fine music style. I know they have a peculiar bandname, I am a Christian, but i will not judge them for that. This is a name they chose back in 1987 when they were only 15 years old. Now they have become famous by that name. Listen their albums and you'll see a pure evolution. And to us, who know the greek language, history and civilisation, Rotting Christ are representatives of them. listen the track "Orders From The Dead" and you will see the mourning of the people of that period.
    pigmuff
    I've never listened to Rotting Christ before this album
    Nothing says credibility like having absolutely no familiarity with the band whatsoever. The only point I've ever seen to album reviews is to give fans of the band an idea as to whether or not they would enjoy the album based on their past releases. When someone comes along and says. One person publishing their opinion on a piece of music really only represents one person. It's always seemed next to pointless to me. UG can continue to give shit bands good marks because they're total rivet heads. HERP DE DERP THRASH LOOL Why do they even bother reviewing bands that they've never heard of. At least it wasn't as bad as the Nifelvind review.
    leftyace
    guitarfreak222 wrote: leftyace wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: AdenZerda wrote: EpiExplorer What, just because its not a shining light of praise? Do go eat a turd, elitist. Probably because it looks like it wasn't proofread at all. It wasnt. I never do, because barely anyone has complained before. Its usually 'Devent review, nice album, might get it, thanks'. Such a good excuse for bad grammar. When America really starts to fall behind in education we now know that all we have to say is "Hey, who's really paying attention anyways?" and everything will be good. Well, except for our spelling of course. He's not writing a bloody essay.. This isn't getting marked, its a review on a guitar website and most of these reviews shouldn't be taken seriously. This review however, is quite good compared to the shit you get here.
    ...Technically it is getting marked. So far it's got a 0/3. Ouch. Looks like it hasn't been doing such a good job at providing coherent information towards its intended audience. (Which, if you didn't know, is the whole point of publishing a review in the first place).
    guitarfreak222
    shredtildeath
    ThatWouldBeJon wrote: im trying to negate in my mind which is worse this awful review the shitty band or the one-sided reviewer...
    Yes, when you make an album 1/8 as good as Thy Mighty Contract, then you can call them shit. Fcking retard. To all the douches complaining about their name saying that it's just for shock value, they've been around since 1987, released a lot of amazing albums and are respected in the metal community, so it's not like they just chose the name to become popular using shock like Marilyn Manson to get a 'rebellious' teen fan base. Also Rotting Christ is a great band name.
    InvaderTSN
    E.harley wrote: just the name alone would scare off most people. i do like there music, they are terrific musicians, but i think the name holds them back
    Their name doesn't hold them back at all. If you enjoy this type of music at all, then the name shouldn't be offensive or surprising to you.
    ThatWouldBeJon
    OvLamvAndGod
    omce upon a time around 1990's mustaine threw them out of a tour in america just because of their name..And the were TRULLY BLACK on their firsts albums so their name is relevant of the music they used to play.+they sign also in ancient greek in some of their albums.!
    Echoplex
    I'm usually on the side of the grammar nazis for stuff like this. If you want any credibility, you should at least know how to spell.
    E.harley
    leftyace
    quorthon10
    clean vocals on 'Thou art lord' : A.A. Nemtheanga from primordial btw and yes the guitar sound i agree is ''weak''
    needtoskate12
    true.
    BGmetal
    Rotting Christ are one of my absolute favorite bands of all time and I love the album.
    guitarsftw
    So once someone criticizes you for making mistakes that you shouldn't have made, you turn into an *****?
    Disturbdkornkid
    Back on topic, this is actually a pretty good album. Good instruments though the guitar kind of sounds funny sometimes when it's chugging and the female vocals are a bit weird, but this is definitely worth checking out.
    AdenZerda
    Probably because it looks like it wasn't proofread at all.
    Andragon
    Decent review, but double-check the grammar before posting. I always thought they were melodic black metal if anything.
    swordsofplague
    I agree about the guitars, was kinda turned off by that. but you're right, overall it's a great album. Theogonia though is still their best album IMO
    Aeolian Harmony
    I don't think I'll get the album, but I was interested enough to listen to some of their stuff on Pandora/Youtube. That's what makes a good review.
    EpiExplorer