Royal Blood review by Royal Blood

• Released: Dec 2, 2
Royal Blood: Royal Blood

After listening to a few of their singles on YouTube I made a trip to my local Record Store for this gem of an album. From "Out of the Black," the first track of this record, you can hear the power and energy from this duo. It surprises a lot of people that there are no guitars, nor guitar overdubs on this whole album. Just a bass, a lot of effect pedals, and 3 amps. However, though they manage to achieve a great sound with just a vocalist/bassist and a drummer, the limited options can make the album slightly boring at times. Both vocals and instruments are top notch, with the small exception that the singer can be a real "breather."

As for the music, it starts of great with its opener "Out of the Black," but then goes a notch down with the rather dull songs "Come on Over" and "Figure It Out." It manages to pick up again around halfway trough the album with the killer tracks "Little Monster," "Blood Hands" and "Loose Change." It keeps up the momentum nicely, ending with the nice, heavy track, "Better Strangers."

The lyrics are good, but if you plan on buying this album for some insightful thoughts, and deep, political metaphors you're better of reading a book. There are a few cheesy lines in there, but Mike Kerr manages to bring them with enough power that it doesn't matter. There are some sing-a-long choruses in there like: "YOU MADE A FOOL OUT OF ME, AND TOKKADADIDAAAA. SO DODIDADADADADAD SPOKEN TOOO...," or "*tuhduh, tuhduhduhduh* Awisha cared less! Buttimma fraid I do-on't!"

As for how they go with the music, I would say they blend great. For some reason I get an eargasm when I hear Mike Kerr sing "I got love in my tummy" after a sped up version of the main riff on "Loose Change."

A very promising debut. If they follow it up I will definitively buy it. If you're thinking about buying it, I'd suggest that you listen to "Out of the Black," "Blood Hands," "Loose Change," "Careless," "Little Monster," "Ten Tonne Skeleton" and for the least impressive song on the album "You Can Be So Cruel."

I love this album's heavy, garagy sound. A lot of people have made comparisons to The White Stripes, which is definitively a good thing. My biggest complaint about this album is that it's so short!

Karlsteel
    Great album, terrible review. May as well just print some kid's blog posts.
    Dam_That_River
    Fantastic review and a fantastic band! love them cannot wait for the next album! Little Monster Come On Over Loose Change Ten Tonne Skeleton are my personal favourite tracks i love how they have such a good raw sound
    SkilletFan77
    I'm confused how an album can get boring, but you still give it a 8.2? I'm just not fully getting the hype of this band, I liked the album, but it's not worth a ton of re-listens.
    Ro-may-o
    I used boring for the lack of a better word, also 'boring' only applies to 2 of the songs
    Iommianity
    All I know about these guys is what I've heard on the radio, which is all I have when I drive right now unless I want to wear headphones. My only immediate thoughts were "Wow, a new band on rock radio that actually has riffs" and "This doesn't suck". That's the best thing I've said about having to listen to the radio for 6 months.
    mcdalek3322
    If you can't recite the lyrics properly, then their not exactly "singalong" are they...
    daveycroc
    I think you've answered your own question. I think the album is short because of the limited options you mention. The band wanted to keep it short and sweet.