2112 review by Rush

• Released: Jan 1, 1976
Rush: 2112

Rush is my favorite band, and 2112 doesn't disappoint. Geddy and Neil are the best at what they do, and Alex is also amazing. Probably anyone's favorite song on here is 2112, a full 20 minutes and 34 seconds of pure rock n roll. The most interesting part about it is the stroy behind the title track. Basically, it's a story about a man living in a future, utopian society run by the priests of the Temples Of Syrinx. The man finds a guitar and shows it to the priests and they tell him it's a waste of time and smash the guitar. he has a dream in which the elder race of men come back and tear the temples down and take over Megadon City. upon realizing this is just a dream, he realizes he cannot carry on such a cold and empty life, so he kills himself. Sad. I always say that Rush is at their best when doing instrumentals, and the overture and grand finale are no exceptions. Something For Nothing and A Passage To Bangkok are pretty good, but the Twilight Zone is kind of boring.

I have always liked Neil's lyrics and these are some of his best. There is wisdom in Soemthing For Nothing and an excellent story in 2112. It's more difficult to write songs from stories that have already been written than it looks, and Neil pulls it off. Strangely, Alex wrote "Lessons" and Geddy wrote "Tears." Geddy is an amazing singer! He gets so high, especially on the Temples Of Syrinx part of 2112.

2112 ranks among the top rock albums of all time. It was the make-or-break 4th album for Rush, and one of their best. 2112 is obviously the most impressive song on the album. But I don't like the "Discovery" part. If it were stolen, I'd hunt down the person that stole it and rip his balls off!