2112 review by Rush

• Released: Jan 1, 1976
Rush: 2112

The sound quality of this album is phenomenal. Instead of lyrics about women and drugs, Rush approches with very deep lyrics that often involve science fiction, and the discovery of new things. In the nearly 22 minute long song "2112" that is broken up into seven sections, you listen too it often for the great music, and many other times for the deep storytelling in the song. People often criticise Alex Lifeson for never crazy solos like Eddie Van Halen or Jimmy Page. Listen to the section of "2112" called "Presentation", then see if your opinion is swayed. Alex also has a way of transforming a normal set of power chords into something that sounds like it is a complex riff. In my opinion he is one of the best guitarists in rock n roll history. Great album, hands down, it's my favorite Rush album, Hemispheres is next after that.

The lyrics in "2112" are among some of the most deep and thought provoking lyrics of any rock album I've ever heard. Once again, listen to the epic "2112" and you will be blown away by the phenomenal music and amazing lyrics. While songs like "A Passage To Bangkok" aren't as great of lyrics as "2112" or "Lessons" the album is great and stands up as one of rock n roll's best lyrical album's of all time.

This album is great and if it were broken, I would go buy another one the second I found out. If it were stolen, I would hunt the person down that took it. If you are a fan of Rush, or classic rock in general you need this album. Please buy it legally, this album doesn't deserve to be file shared. The best song on the album is easily "2112," but this isn't taking anything away from any other songs on the album, because they are great too. This album set a huge bar for Rush to outdo themselves, while "Moving Pictures" or "Permanent Waves" were their most commercially successful albums, "2112" is their best album by far in my opinion.

peartdrummer
    Anyone who doubts Alex's skills should listen to By tor and the Snow dog! Amazing guitar work.
    mmanson
    Ppl talkin about guitarist being unrecognized and doubting their skills - stop complaining bassists deal with that every day - let bassists get some respect/recognition ppl act like its so easy but its not- ppl who play bass and say that are ppl that dont try to play any thing hard and have never heard of burton and claypool
    jonny d
    i can listen to this cd over and over and not get bored i like all the songs but twilight zone is my least favorite 2112 is my fav of course cause of all the work and talent put into it passage to bangkok is a close 2nd