2112 review by Rush

• Released: Jan 1, 1976
Rush: 2112

I love Rush. They are one of my favorite bands and 2112 is one of my favorite albums by them. They have the mind boggling complexity and technique, Neil Peart is THE BEST DRUMMER EVER and a great lyricsist, Geddy Lee is an amazing bassist and yes his singing is different and probably not something everyone likes or is accustomed to but I think its awesome, and Alex Lifeson is a great guitar player who writes some amazing riffs. It has complex musicianship and a hard rock guitar playing with loud awesome solos and some nice crunch to the riffs. The story behind the song 2112 is great. It is a great Prog Rock album and I recommend it to everyone who likes Rock and think even if you don't you should still take the 39 minutes of your life to listen to this album.

The opening song, 2112, is a story about a man who lives in a society controlled by the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx. They control everything "The words you hear, the songs you sing. The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes." A man finds a guitar and learns to play it. Its very different from what he's use to, the guitar is "A strange device...It has wires that vibrate and give music." He then presents it to the priests who end destroying this "Waste of time." He then falls into a "Fitfull sleep." and dreams of what man is doing. He sees their accomplishments and that they are planning to return "To tear the Temples down." After the dream he becomes depressed and goes to the cave where he found the guitar eventually commiting suicide. It ends with the Grand Finale a crazy 2 minutes of guitar, bass, and drums ending with "Attention All Planets of the Solar Federation...We Have Assumed Control." This is amazing lyric writing by Peart. I think it is a great story and is among my favorite "concept albums" (which it technically isn't, the other songs have nothing to do with the story of 2112) along with great albums like Pink Floyd's The Wall and The Who's Quadrophenia and Tommy. The other songs on the album are great too. Geddy Lee I think is a great singer and can some REALLLLLLLY HIGHHH notes. If high notes are what ya like than stop listening to Justin Bieber and listen to Rush.

Rush is one of my favorite bands ever. This album is my favorite Rush album and one of my favorite albums of all time. It opens with an epic 20 minute piece, 2112. Some people may think this is just a wee bit too long for a song. I agree that it is a long song but it is a good one. Split into 7 different parts (Overture, The Temples of Syrinx, Discovery, Presentation, Oracle: The Dream, Soliloquy, and Grand Finale) each one is amazing and has great riffs, solos, amazing instrumental skill, and a great story behind the whole song. The rest of the album has great songs as well. A Passage to Bangkok is a good song and I like the opening riff. Twilight Zone is not my favorite song by Rush and probably my least favorite on the album. Lessons is a good song along with Tears. Something For Nothing is my next favorite song on the album next to 2112. This was the album that allowed Rush to whatever they want, which thank god was not write crappy pop singles. If I lost it I would be quite upset and go out and find another copy of it and wouldn't stop until I found it. If it got stolen I would kick that little F***** Ass. If you don't have this album GO BUY IT!