A Farewell to Kings review by Rush

Rush: A Farewell to Kings

Let me say first that if you are a Rush fan this is a must have. This album is pure pleasure to the ears from the nice acoustic opener "A Farewell To Kings" all the way to the climatic closer of the album "Cygnus X-1, Part 1", which is continued on the next album "Hemispheres". The way Alex Lifeson makes a simple power chord riff something that sounds so much more complex than it actually is still leaves me scratching my head. Neil Peart is one of the best rock drummers of all time in my opinion and Geddy Lee is a great bassist/vocalist. The album has a great balance of long epics like "Xanadu" and "Cygnus X-1" along with soft greats like "Cinderella Man" and "Closer To The Heart". The album is a masterpiece hands down and every music fan should own a copy.

Along wit being a phenomenal drummer Neil Peart is notorious for writing some great lyrics. "A Farewell To Kings" is no exception. With songs like "Xanadu", a song about a secret palace in the Egyptian lands and "Cygnus X-1, Part 1", a song about a dangerous black hole, Neil Peart showcases his talent for songwriting. The lyrics in this album can be summed up in one word "unbelieveable". When listening you sometimes feel like you're listening to a novel on tape with some great music included.

I really hate giving albums a full 10. I always try to find fault somewhere in the album. In this album I simply can't find anything bad about it. If you are a music fan you should buy this album. I own it and would gladly buy another copy of it if it slipped out of my possession.