A Farewell to Kings review by Rush

Rush: A Farewell to Kings

The CD (or record, back then) starts off with the title track, A Farewell To Kings. There's an awesome classical intro for about a minute and a half, and then rush gets jammin'. The next song starts with a single synth note fade in, and a free time session. Xanadu, an 11 minute epic has everything from calm laid back playing to a crazy guitar solo to Geddy and Alex playing doublenecks. The song after that, Closer to the Heart, is one of Rush's best songs, even though it's less than 3 mins. Then there's Cinderella Man, which has a drastic change of sound during the solo. There's Madrigal, which has Geddy playing some weird sounding keys. it has a good feel to it, but I have to say it got quite boring. The last song is the 10 minute Cygnus X-1 part one, and the opening instrumental is sweet. It leaves you waiting for the next part, and it was smart for them to place it there.

Once again, Neil outdoes himself with the lyrics. The two extended songs were mainly about future and past fantasy lyrics, and many die-hard Rush fans love that. A farewell to kings (I'm taking my best guess) is about overthrowing government, or not letting any one tell you what to do, somewhat like cinderella man. Closer to the heart, I'm not even going to touch that awesomeness, and madrigal, well, I'm note quite sure about that one. Oh yeah, Geddy's voice is really high on this one. If you want it higher, you should check their next album though.

I think the best song off of the album was Cygnus X-1 The Voyage Part One. It gives a great feeling. I'd definatley buy a new one if somebody stole it, and beat the crap out of whoever did steal it. My overall impression by this was that rush was trying to put out a great album to match the likes of 2112, not quite as good, but still a great album.

sglpdc
    okay i take back what i said, i just listened to xanadu and it blows cygnus x-1 out of the water.
    Kevin67
    If you listen to this album too much, it get really annoying. I did that and now it is. It just pisses me off.
    scottishmob
    MODERNMUSICH, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SAYING?! YOU SAY YOU HATE XANADU, THEN SAY ITS ONE OF THEIR BEST?! MAKE UP YOUR GOD DAMN MIND!!!!
    scottishmob
    WAIT NEVERMIND!!! i didnt notice it was that FAGGOT who said he hated Xanadu, sorry bout that modernmusich, really. AND NEILPROCKS, GO TO HELL!!! You don't really credit Geddy at all, even though he's like the best bassist in the world, not the best but in the top three. NEIL IS OVERRATED EVEN THOUGH HE IS THE GREATEST DRUMMER.
    burntwing
    orange_juice
    i cant play along with xanadu because the guitar is tuned between steps i hate it when songs are like that
    orange_juice
    RuShRoCkS!
    scottishmob
    RuShRoCkS! wrote: orange_juice wrote: and neil peart can sometimes be over rated, but he is one of the best he sounds like he has 10 arms DUDE!!! NEIL PEART IS THE BEST!!!!! YOU CANT BE OVER RATED IF YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!
    i honestly never thought about that.... my god ur right!!
    StratStar21
    Burntwing: Neil isn't overrated and yes geddy is an awsome bass player but hes not the best singer or lyricist. And Xanadu isn't one of their best songs.
    Neils the lyricist, not Geddy, great album, great band. Rainbow is Gods greatest gift to man
    proglove13
    For whoever was dumb enough to say they can't play Xanadu because of its tuning...it's a quarter step up. That's not hard to tune to...how long have you been playing? O_o