Counterparts review by Rush

• Released: Oct 19, 1993
Rush: Counterparts

The sound on counterparts is acctually quite nice, nice and clear but sometimes I feel like Ged's vocals are getting drowned out a bit. The guitars are great, you can hear each note with Alex is playing with the same accuracy I'm assuming there was in the studio. Geddy's bass is booming and growly, just the way I love it (as a bass player) and Neil's drum sound is perfect, as always. With Neil's various MIDI-marimba parts he does, that gives this record an insane direction (good example of this, the instrumental, "Leave That Thing Alone" especially on the Rush in Rio CD/DVD). So in summary, sound as good as a studio album is going to get.

Does rush ever have bad lyrics? Well, with the exception of Virtuality on the Test For Echo album. So many lyrical masterpieces on this album, including my personal favorite, "Nobody's Hero." And to all you Geddy-bashers, what is wrong with his voice? I mean, he has one of the greatest voices in rock n' roll (IMO of course). He has a very very wide range, from lows to highs, and his voice fits the music and lyrics perfectly. But I'm not gonna drone on and on about it, 10/10.

Only one I don't like (Speed Of Love), but I still like it, it's just my least favorite of my favorite album. I hate nothing (seriously, I can listen to this album from beginning to end, 5 times in a row and still love it). If you want a heavy, intelligent and fun-to-listen-to album by an amazing artist, pick up Counterparts. Every song is amazing, every lyrics is well thought out, every guitar part is unique, every bass part is something you've never heard before and the drumming is Neil, what more do i have to say?

peartdrummer
    This is honestly oneof my favourite albums Rush has ever produced (next to Hold Your Fire, of course). Great Review.
    Rush_fan2112
    I thought this was horrible! and it almost kills me to say that because i love rush so much...i blew off my prom date for rush...and they let me down with this album. every song sounded to much a like and the feel of the song is horrible and geddy even said in the exit...stage left live album video in 1981 that the feel of the song is the most important thing
    scottishmob
    no fly by night isn't are you insane?! its not that great compared to their prog rock age, from caress of steel up to moving pictures. their first album is by far my favorite though. I LOVE 90'S RUSH IT IS SO FANTASTIC AND ITS JUST SO COOL! WHO KNEW THAT OLD PEOPLE COULD WRITE SUCH FANTASTIC HARD ROCK/ METAL STUFF?!! ALL I GOTTA SAY IS, STICK IT OUT MAN!!!!
    poe_boy
    I love this cd. I bought it without ever hearing any of the songs on it. My favorite has got to be Double Agent. The lyrics are amazing, as well as the bass intro.