Fly By Night review by Rush

• Released: Feb 15, 1975
Rush: Fly By Night

For the '70s it's good, and the transfer from vynil to CD was very tastefully done, keeping everything intact and not re-doing it to make themselves sound better; the CD is 100% true to the Record (I know as I own both the Vinyl and the CD). Also, this was very early Rush, much much before their Synth period (i.e. Moving Pictures, Signals, etc) so it's very hard rock/blues rock oriented. Songs like Best I can really show off their blues rock capabilities, whereas By-Tor and the Snow Dog shows off their first really "epic story-telling song." Also, this is the first album that Neil (Peart, replacing John Rutsey from the first, self-titled Rush album) so the percussion/drums sound very much like his style, which is great.

The lyrics are hits and one miss. By-tor is a classic rush song for lyrics, as are Fly By Night, Anthem and Rivendell. But there's one song I truely don't like for lyrics. Kinda corny, but still, the music makes up for it.

This albums is a classic, benchmark album for Rush. It was there first really big break (with the single, Fly By Night) and without this album (and 2112) we probably wouldn't have Rush around today. This was my first Rush album, so it means alot to me personally, and if it were ever stolen, I'd hunt down the guy who stole it, take it back and buy him a copy, get the word out that Rush really is and was the greatest classic rock band ever.