Fly By Night Review

Rush: Fly By Night
Released: Feb 15, 1975
Label: Mercury
Genres: Album Rock, Hard Rock, Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Arena Rock
Fly by Night may not be one of Rush's finest albums, but it is one of their most important ? it showed that the young band was leaving their Zep-isms behind in favor of a more challenging and original direction.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 9.5
 8.5
Fly By Night Reviewed by: TomD03, on september 25, 2005

Sound: For the '70s it's good, and the transfer from vynil to CD was very tastefully done, keeping everything intact and not re-doing it to make themselves sound better; the CD is 100% true to the Record (I know as I own both the Vinyl and the CD). Also, this was very early Rush, much much before their Synth period (i.e. Moving Pictures, Signals, etc) so it's very hard rock/blues rock oriented. Songs like Best I can really show off their blues rock capabilities, whereas By-Tor and the Snow Dog shows off their first really "epic story-telling song." Also, this is the first album that Neil (Peart, replacing John Rutsey from the first, self-titled Rush album) so the percussion/drums sound very much like his style, which is great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are hits and one miss. By-tor is a classic rush song for lyrics, as are Fly By Night, Anthem and Rivendell. But there's one song I truely don't like for lyrics. Kinda corny, but still, the music makes up for it. // 9

Overall Impression: This albums is a classic, benchmark album for Rush. It was there first really big break (with the single, Fly By Night) and without this album (and 2112) we probably wouldn't have Rush around today. This was my first Rush album, so it means alot to me personally, and if it were ever stolen, I'd hunt down the guy who stole it, take it back and buy him a copy, get the word out that Rush really is and was the greatest classic rock band ever. // 10

Fly By Night Reviewed by: timmEH, on august 15, 2006

Sound: What's to say it's rush! hte sound is very, well, '70s. This album was done well before they got heavy into the synthisizers and keyboards, it's a lot of raw power trio rock. I like it. A lot of people find geddy's voice to be to different, but I enjoy listening to him sing, especially on their earlier albums as you can tell how his voice changes through the years. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics go great with the music. I find it ioncredible how geddy lee can sing something so different from the very intricate basslines he plays at the same time. In By-tor and The Snow Dog, the band uses their music to tell part of the story, that I found to be pretty cool. // 9

Overall Impression: This is defenitely one of my favourite rush albums, up their with 2112. Rush has a very zeppelin sound, but I prefer listening ot rush then Zeppelin. The song I was most impressed with was By-tor and The Snow Dog. It's fascinating the way the music tells the story. There is some fine print on hte inside of the case, it says "for best results, play this album" just an example of rush's sense of humor. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't buy it again because it's all ripped onto my PC anyways but I would go buy another rush album for sure! // 10

Fly By Night Reviewed by: RuShRoCkS!, on june 10, 2008

Sound: Rush is one of the coolest, bestist, prog rock bands out there! Geddy Lee is the best bassist next to Flee from the Chilli Peppers and Justin from Tool. Alex Lifson is One of the most talented guitar players also, as far as sound. His solos are so insync w/the actual music. (unlike most guitar players who just kind of go out there) And the best drummer in the world! Neil Peart! (No, JB is good but not the best you zeppelin fans). They've gotten better over the years but this album shows their frist work. (w/Neil) It's a good start for any growing Rush fan considering Neil wasn't w/them on their first album. The sound is mostly hard rock, w/ a few soft songs. 01. Anthem - a song that rocks! Also the name of the record company. Not too sure what it meens though? 02. Best I Can - this one was written by Geddy Lee. It's about how awesome it is rocking and being a star. I love the G. solo on this one. 03. Benneath, Between & Behind - this is just a cool song. I think it just tells a mithical story of back in the day. IDK though? 04. By-Tor And The Snow Dog - this is the best song on the album! It is! Fast at the beggining then a bass solo into the coolest G. solo ever! My opinian though. Then it gets all slow and the snare roll leads to another good G. solo. It's about an evil prince fighting a snow dog for control of the over-world. This song was the reason I bought this album! 05. Fly By Night - a good song. It made their Greatist hits! Impossible to play on Bass though! 06. Making Memories - one of my favorates. It's not that popular though. It's just about Travlin' around. I like the acustic Intro. 07. Rivendell - I don't like this song that much. It's too soft for Rush in this time period. Revindell is the Elv's home in Lord of the Rings. It's a good break though. 08. In The End - I just listend to this song only about a month ago, and dang! This song is awesome! A great way to end an album! // 10

Lyrics: People think the lyrics on this album are kind of blagh for rush. But that's because Neil didn't write all of the songs. Yeah, you should know by now their drummer writes most 99% of the lyrics. He is amazing! This is 53.45% of the reasons why I like Rush. Most bands sing about girls, sex, or drugs. Which 90% of the time is gay! Rush sings about si-fi fiction (check out 2112), medieval adventure (check out Caress of Steel), or any thing emotional. Oh yeah, Geddy's voice rocks! I think so anyway. You either love or hate his voice. I think it gose well w/ the style of music though. I'd give the lyrics an 8 because, like I said, Neil wasn't in on lyrics at the time. // 8

Overall Impression: Its' one of their best as far as sound, lyrics no. My favorates are Anthem, Best I Can, By-Tor, Making memories and, In the End. Which is like, 80% of the album. Again, I didn't like Rivendell and B, B&B. is just okay. I have lost it but that's okay beacuse it's on my Media Player and my MP3. If it wasn't, I'd buy it again. // 9

Comments