Hold Your Fire review by Rush

• Released: Sep 8, 1987
Rush: Hold Your Fire

Rush is my all time favorite band. Out of any music I've ever heard of, seen, or been in contact with has absolutely nothing on Rush. "Hold Your Fire" was my very first Rush album, and it was a real good one. When you consider all the rest of the albums I could have started on with them, this one is definitely different in its sound compared to the rest. It seems like it has a bit of a jazzy vibe to it, the album before it 1985's "Power Windows" pointed toward this album and how it would end up. Geddy is an amazing singer, around 1980 I'd say his voice lowered a bit which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I love Geddy's voice I find it simply fantastic, never sounds bad to me. Regular Rush instruments are pretty well used here on the album including: keyboards, synthesizers, bass, guitars, acoustic drums, and electric drums. Many if not all of the songs have keyboards in it, layering the overall sound making each song fuller really. I thought the '80s Rush period was great too, I don't like all the dislike of this period in their career.

The lyrics are really good, Neil is a hell of a lyricist. Very deep and well thought out lyrics like he usually writes in Rush tunes. The lyrics work out wonderfully with the music, I can't picture them to be any better that's for sure. My favorite lyrics have to be in the songs: "Second Nature," "Turn the Page," "Tai Shan," "High Water," and "Time Stand Still." Specifically: "It's hard to take the heat, it's hard to lay blame, To fight the fire, while we're feeding the flame." - "Second Nature." "Everyday we're standing in a time capsule, Racing down a river from the past, Everyday we're standing in a wind tunnel, Facing down the future coming fast." - "Turn the Page."

I personally think "Hold Your Fire" holds up pretty good to other Rush records even "Moving Pictures" and "2112." Everything about the record really rocks and sounds great to me anytime, I can turn it on anytime and I'll be in the mood for it. The most impressive songs on it IMO are: "Force Ten," "Time Stand Still," "Second Nature," "Mission," "Turn the Page," "Tai Shan," "High Water." I love the overall sound of the record and how each song sounds with each other, I'd say they gel together quite well in whole. I don't anything about it why would I? If it were lost of stolen I'd run out and buy it again immediately, it was one of my very first CDs and I love it. I wouldn't think of getting anything else to replace it ever.