Moving Pictures review by Rush

• Released: Jan 4, 1981
Rush: Moving Pictures

If you've never heard Rush before, you may be either in for a treat, or in for a new hell. This is mainly due to the vocals of Geddy Lee, who some would call more on the "girly" side. It's a progressive rock sound. The guys of Rush are all quite competent at what they do, as their drummer Neil Peart is regarded as one of the best. It sounds like a mix of classic rock, progressive rock, and straight rock. This album is aggressive, spacey, and at times, awe inspiring.

Geddy Lee is is love/hate singer. I for one am in the middle, but I do like him. He's a good vocalist, and the songs on this album have some good lyrics. One of the tracks, YYZ, is full instrumental, but you don't miss the vocals at all, it's a great song. Geddy Lee DOES have a habit of getting quite annoying after a number of songs, and in some songs tends to sound like he's more "talking" than singing, which isn't that big of a problem, I'd just like a more "musical" sounding vocalist.

I personally think this is their best album, considering it has three of their biggest songs (YYZ, Limelight, Tom Sawyer). Those are the songs that really shoot this album into a high tier of rock quality. I love the progressiveness of it, the changing sounds, as you almost forget that what you're hearing is simply a guitar, or a drumset. All I can really knock this album for is the vocals of Geddy Lee, which will vary depending on your personal opinion of him. If lost, I would get it again. This is a must-have for any Rush fan.

orange_juice
    Geady Lee does an awesome job singing and playing bass at the same time for a Canadian.
    LOL what is that suppost to mean? u got somethin against canadians *****?
    orange_juice
    LOL what is that suppost to mean? u got somethin against canadians *****?
    theregno
    something you might not know... the opening part of yyz is morse code for Y-Y-Z yeah... i know... freaking amazing...