Moving Pictures review by Rush

• Released: Jan 4, 1981
Rush: Moving Pictures

The sound in Moving Pictures (Rush's eight studio album) is nearly flawless. You can tell the band knows what they are doing, as all the parts flow perfectly together and sound brilliant. The album also uses synthesizers quite a bit, and some experimental stuff that really turned out well. Neil Pear is regarded as one of the greater drummers out there, and this album really showcases his talent with some crazy drum fills and rhythms. Geddy Lee's bass playing is also amazing, and unlike a lot of bands from the era it can really be heard and is really important to the overall sound of the songs. Alex Lifeson's guitar playing is also top notch and the guitar solos really get you into the music. This album is very progressive, but also straight out hard rock. Overall, this is album has some of Rush's best playing and best songs in my opinion.

There are more to the lyrics then what might appear. The band really shows some of their progressive talent with the lyrics and writing of the songs. As usual, Rush's lyrics could be considered more of the brain then the heart, very technical and intelligent. Geddy Lee's singing is often criticized for his high and almost female sounding vocals. If you're familiar with Rush, expect the usual, but if this is your first time hearing Rush, expect high pitched vocals. The only reason I'm giving this section a 9/10 is because I too didn't like Geddy Lee's vocals at first, and it really took some listening until I got into them. For those who dislike Geddy's voice, keep listening, it'll grow on you.

Overall, this album is an absolute masterpiece. There isn't a single song on it that doesn't appeal to me. It contains some of Rush's more famous pieces: "Tom Sawyer", "YYZ", and "Limelight" to mention a few. From the very start this album has you captivated, and you won't want to stop listening until you've heard everything this album has to offer. This album is great, and any fan of Rush, hard rock, progressive rock, or any genre at all, should totally check this album out. Not only is it one of my favourite albums by Rush, but one of my all time favourites. Full of epic songs you can really get into, this album is truly amazing.

stokcton
    maleathe wrote: slappin' da bass
    yeah it sounds better on bigger speakers