R30 [DVD] review by Rush

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Rush: R30 [DVD]

The sound on R30 is spectacular! There are 2 modes to choose from from the very start; 5.1 surround or PCM stereo. Both sound great, and as I dont have one of those fancy speaker systems I can't really compare the two thuroughly.

Content — 9
The live setlist from R30 is a good chronicle of 30 years of work from the boys; starting with the little movie staring Jerry Stiller (good stuff) and followed overture (including parts of Finding My Way, Anthem, Bastille Day, A Passage To Bangkok, Cygnus And Hemispheres) it's a great way to start off your experience. My only beef is that in "Roll The Bones" someone must have screwed with Geddy's footpedals because everytime he steps on one it plays the synthesizer from "Tom Sawyer."

Production Quality — 10
Great! All recorded with HDTV cameras, great angles; they always show the right person at the right time (ex. during Alex's solo's they aren't focusing on Geddy and Neil through the whole thing, or during a great bass rif from Geddy they'll cut between him and the background). Great! Nothing much more to say.

This DVD is a great addition to any collection, the second disk is nice but it's not amazing IMO; the easter eggs (I'm pretty sure there's only 2, but the boys are hinting at more) are decent, though lacking. If you get the Deluxe edition, the picks & "Backstage Pass" are great collectibles (and the picks are good for using too). But, I'll be honest, I personally would choose Rush In Rio over this for one reason; In R30 they cut out a few songs (YYZ, Secret Touch) and I would have loved to see those but unfortunately we don't get to. Long live Rush and hopefully an album/tour will come sometime late 2006.

jonny d
    the best part of this dvd is the early performances on the 2nd disc the first disc is pretty good too
    Kevin67
    I love these guys but I think that Rush in Rio was a little better than R30.