R30 [DVD] review by Rush

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 8
Rush: R30 [DVD]

The one word that describes the sound of this Rush concert is: phenomenal. Great quality of the bass drum off of Niel Pert's 24-carrot gold drum kit. The bass was really strong. The effects from the organ were really good. So was the guitar. The crowd really must have enjoyed this concert because when I watched this DVD for the fist time, the crowd was so loud, (not like that's a bad thing) it felt as if I was right there. The overall concert sounded like it was 25 years ago... exept for the vocals. Geddy Lee is not the singer that he was 30 years ago. Yeah, he can still hit the right notes and everything, but he just doesn't sound the same. Overall, this is one of there better concerts.

Content — 9
The opening of the DVD/Concert was really unique. It was an animated little segment of all of Rush's albums that they had released. The "Live" quality of it was very good. Sounded if I was right there. Just like I said before. The song ordering went like this: 01.R30 Overture: loved the mix of all their great songs. 02.The Spirit of Radio: the guitar is amazing so what can you say? 03.Force Ten: great drum roll/Bass. The first time when Geddy said "Tough Times" it was off but oh well. 04.Animate: the drum part is my favorite... including the intro. 05.Subdivisions: the quality of the organ and the Les Paul was really good. 06.Earthshine: the tone of the guitar was really low, but that's just great for this song. 07.Red Barchetta: harmonics were off in a couple of places, but overall, pretty good. 08.Roll the Bones: great keyboard! 09.The Seeker: headbangin' Good! Did you see Neil twirl his stick! 10.Tom Sawyer: original! 11.Dreamline: great guitar and bass balance. This is probably the only song that this was done well. 12.Between the Wheels: I haven't listened to this one since I first heard of Rush, and they still sound the same doing this song. 13.Mystic Rhythms: intro was cool! Great slap bass! 14.Der Trommler: first time I had heard this one. Amazing!!! 15.Resist: great to see Geddy doin' some real acoustic guitar, but it was really soft. 16.Heart Full of Soul: great to see Geddy doin' some real acoustic guitar, but it was really soft. Just like I said before 17.2112: almost sound like a remix... a great remix! 18.Xanadu 19.Working Man; guitar was great. 20.Summertime Blues: just like off of the album 21.Crossroads: little different sound 22.Limelight: the tone of the guitar didn't sound the same The song list was really long and I like that. They also pulled a lot of old songs out from under the bed and played them just like 30 years was yesterday.

Production Quality — 8
The quality wasn't the best, but at least you could se the strings on the guitar. If you wanted to tab this out by what you can see Geddy/Alex playing on te fretboard, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I liked that the clips of the different players faded/blurred together before they went to another one so that it didn't look to choppy. The angles they had on the three members were really good which surprised me. Overall, this could have been better, but it was standard.

I love the fact that they got back together and did a concert instead of just realeasing a sort of "one-hit-wonder" comeback sort of deal. What impressed me is how much they changed in looks. A lot can happen in 30 years you know. I would probably buy it again if it was stolen because it's fun to watch it of older people that were around and fans of Rush back in the good ol' days. Impressive at the least!

0GibsonLesPaul0
    Kevin67 wrote: I love these guys but I think that Rush in Rio was a little better than R30.
    ' yeah. thats kuz they were younger