R30 [DVD] Review

artist: Rush date: 01/19/2009 category: compact discs
Rush: R30 [DVD]
Release Date: November 22, 2005
After 30 years of evolution from playing clubs and getting minimal airplay in Cleveland to selling out arenas and releasing around 30 albums, Rush shows no signs of stopping and can continue to put on a amazing concert.
 Content: 9
 Production Quality: 9
 9.4
 8.6
R30 [DVD] Reviewed by: TomD03, on january 31, 2006

Sound: The sound on R30 is spectacular! There are 2 modes to choose from from the very start; 5.1 surround or PCM stereo. Both sound great, and as I dont have one of those fancy speaker systems I can't really compare the two thuroughly. // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD is a great addition to any collection, the second disk is nice but it's not amazing IMO; the easter eggs (I'm pretty sure there's only 2, but the boys are hinting at more) are decent, though lacking. If you get the Deluxe edition, the picks & "Backstage Pass" are great collectibles (and the picks are good for using too). But, I'll be honest, I personally would choose Rush In Rio over this for one reason; In R30 they cut out a few songs (YYZ, Secret Touch) and I would have loved to see those but unfortunately we don't get to. Long live Rush and hopefully an album/tour will come sometime late 2006. // 10

R30 [DVD] Reviewed by: 0GibsonLesPaul0, on january 19, 2009

Sound: The one word that describes the sound of this Rush concert is: phenomenal. Great quality of the bass drum off of Niel Pert's 24-carrot gold drum kit. The bass was really strong. The effects from the organ were really good. So was the guitar. The crowd really must have enjoyed this concert because when I watched this DVD for the fist time, the crowd was so loud, (not like that's a bad thing) it felt as if I was right there. The overall concert sounded like it was 25 years ago... exept for the vocals. Geddy Lee is not the singer that he was 30 years ago. Yeah, he can still hit the right notes and everything, but he just doesn't sound the same. Overall, this is one of there better concerts. // 9

Overall Impression: I love the fact that they got back together and did a concert instead of just realeasing a sort of "one-hit-wonder" comeback sort of deal. What impressed me is how much they changed in looks. A lot can happen in 30 years you know. I would probably buy it again if it was stolen because it's fun to watch it of older people that were around and fans of Rush back in the good ol' days. Impressive at the least! // 10

Comments