Retrospective II: 1981 To 1987 review by Rush

• Released: Jun 3, 1997
Rush: Retrospective II: 1981 To 1987

Retrospective Vol. 2 is a complitation released in 1997 by Rush. You can call it a Greatest Hits from Rush's Synthesizers Years in the 80's. Probably the most famous songs from Rush are in this album. Songs like: Limelight, Subdivisions or Tom Sawyer. The 80's were the period in which Rush almost always used the Synthesizer. My opinion is that these songs made Rush famous, but they are not the best. I feel that Alex Lifeson was pushed to the background and Geddy Lee was even more in the picture. I wish there were more solo's from Alex and more the guitar sound of him sure he has solo's and in Limelight he has a special role. but still you won't hear him as much as in the 70's. Though this is the Progressive Rush, and not the Rush we all heard in the 70's. These songs are the ones that made Rush special, Progressive.

The lyrics are the most Progressive Rush has ever had a few examples: Subdivisions goes about being bullied but also reflects the fact that Rush isn't mainstream and that Rush is Progressive. The Big Money; Against the power of money, it shows us that Money is just a paper, coin or a number. And we all believe in it. Or this one: Distant Early Warning, this song refers to the Cold War, against the nuclear arms races, the false propaganda or military coalitions. Rush doesn't write about nothing, they write about life and how it is. Especially in this album you'll see how poetic and deep the lyrics of Neil Peart go, you'll have to think about what geddy lee sings before you'll understand. Geddy Lee has a very powerful voice, as always, but not like in the 70's in the 80's he sang more melodic, with more feeling. Though it can be annoying, Geddy's voice is special but not beautiful. I'd give this a 9, because almost no other band can make lyrics like rush, and not any band i know made songs like these. It can be seen as special in a negative or positive way.

The most impressive songs are: - The Big Money: Geddy's fast and groovy bass, the strong synthesizers, the powerfull chords from Alex and ofcourse the heavy drumming and perfect lyrics from Neil. - Tom Sawyer: Rush's most famous song, Alex's chords will be stuck in your mind after hearing this song, and his solo rocks as always. Geddy's great voice tells you the story about Tom Sawyer and the lyrics behind it, his synthesizer plays along just fine as Alex strikes his guitar and the melodic tune is just amazing. Neil's drumming is as always strong, perfectly timed and his short drumming solo's in between are amazing. If you haven't heard this song you won't know what Rush is. - Limelight: Another famous Rush song, Alex plays wonderful on this song, his guitar sound is perfect and his riff is number 10 on the best riffs from the 80's. Geddy sings awesome on this song and you won't have a problem listening to it. The synthesizers are a bit on the background during this song, but are fitting good. Geddy on the bass is just amazing as always. Neil's drumming as always strong, perfect fitting in the theme, well what to say, it's Neil Peart. The lyrics are nice to listen and think about. I'd say these are Rush's best songs from the 80's. I think that this album is very good, because it's sort of a greatest hits. Though some songs aren't a pleasure to listen twice on a day. These songs are very much the same. I wouldn't advise to listen all of the songs on one day, I think you wouldn't listen it so much again after that. If it was stolen i would definitely buy it again. I can't say it's comparable to other albums. I hardly know any Progressive Rockband like Rush. They are special. If you don't got this album (except if you've got all albums from the 80's from Rush)my advise is: if you are a fan from rush this album is a must-have. For the people who don't like Progressive rock, don't buy it. This is as Progressive as Rush can get. If you want more Rock like Led Zeppelin style go and buy Retrospective Vol. 1. I have to say, a synthesizer isn't my favorite instrument but the way rush uses it is special, not like Yes or any other Progressive Rockband. This was my review of Retrospective Vol. 2, I hope you've learnt something from my review.

Tarsplitter
    Joost1795
    Well not everyone here is American or English. I'm only 15 and i'm from The Netherlands.
    Tarsplitter
    Joost1795 wrote: Tarsplitter wrote: This really wasn't an enjoyable read. It sounded like something a fifth grader would write for his English class. Well, I'd like to say to you that; first: I'm not from America or England but I'm from Holland/The Netherlands call it what you want. Second: My mother language is Dutch and not English, so it's pretty obvious that I'm not amazingly good at speaking and writing English. Third: I'm only 15, yes that's correct 15 years old and Dutch. So please before you read my reviews next time think of it that not everyone is American or English. And not everyone is over 20 years old. I hope that at least some people understand this. Greetzzz
    I didn't mean to be offensive, just letting ya know my opinion. Also, your use of English didn't really bother me but the way you constructed your statements. That made it seem rather..ehh..for a lack of a better word..childish. I meant that an English person would've written like that for his English class. As you're Dutch it would be a Dutch class.
    Joost1795
    Alright, never mind then. Well i'm still a child, so your right actually haha. Well at least you understand what i mean in my review. Greetzzz
    Tigershark2112
    krvolok
    @Joost1795 Grammar aside you come of somewhat rigid and formal.My advice:Use colloquialisms and relax.This is a compilation so I wont comment on it.
    L2112Lif
    Totally missed the difference between Pop and Progressive. Fans at this time were INCREDIBLY annoyed with the transition to synths because it started to sound like 80's bubblegum pop, as opposed to the meaty songs from the 70's..
    Joost1795
    Tigershark2112 wrote: What do you mean THESE were the songs that made Rush progressive, and NOT the songs from the 70's? You got it bass-ackwards, son. I'm pretty sure most will agree when I say that the 20 minute epics they wrote in the 70's (Hemispheres, 2112, Fountain of Lamneth) is what made them prog, not the poppy synth stuff of the 80's. Not trying to be rude, just trying to clear that up for you.
    Well i said that because Rush was using the Synthesizer and other instruments they didn't used before and thus are progressive. But yeah you're right The most progressive songs were The Fountan of Lamneth and 2112 and Hemisperes. I was a bit focused on the 80's and forgot those songs. My bad Greetzzz