Retrospective, Vol. 1 (1974-1980) review by Rush

• Released: May 5, 1997
Rush: Retrospective, Vol. 1 (1974-1980)

Rush are sensational. A three-man band comprising of the best bassist of all time, the greatest drummer ever and a fantastic guitarist. This is a greatest hits, of Rush's earlier years, and features several of their best songs. They mix hard rock with synthesizers, complicated drumming, flowing lyrics into 11 progressive rock songs. 01. The Trees - starts with an accoustic guitar, with a light bass melody, before rocking. It has brilliant lyrics; all is a metaphor about social society (the maples and the oaks represent maybe political parties). I'd give this song 8.5/10. 02. Something For Nothing - great song, from Rush's earlier years. Starts accoustically, then goes heavy. Great solo, with a catchy chorus. I'd give this 9/10. 03. Xanadu - probably my favourite all time Rush song. By far and away their most epic song ever and is a collosal 11 minutes long. A sort of 'jungle' intro, then the masterpiece starts. Fantastic drums, with great bass and an unstoppable guitar riff commences this song. I love the part after the chorus's: 'to stand within the pleasure dome, decreed by Kubla Khan...' This tells the tale of a hunt for an ancient treasure - Xanadu. I would give this song 10/10. 04. Bastille Day - Rush's earliest song on the album I think. Its brilliant, with great guitars and an immense solo. Talks about the French National Holiday 'Bastille Day' and about how its all a conspiracy set up by the royal family. I'd give this 9/10. 05. Anthem - I'm not too keen on this song. Doent really seem too good to me. I'd give this 7/10. 06. Closer To The Heart - brilliant song. Probably Rush's best accoustic song. I love the heartfelt lyrics and the solo. Intro is cool with the bass melody. I'd give this 9.5/10. 07. 2112 Overture - part of the album 2112. It, 'Temples of the Syrinx' and other songs on the album make up a 'rock opera' which tells an incredible story of how insecure the human race is. It talks about travelling into the future and the destruction of music. Sensational instrumental, with a top notch solo. I'd give this 9/10. 08. The Temples Of The Syrinx - amazing song, with several brilliant solos, and a great chorus. The riff and lyrics send the song into the sky, and I love it. Combines with 2112 Overture to make an almost perfect song. I'd give this 9.5/10. 09. La Villa Strangiato - good instrumental, although not Rush's best. Very fast guitar solo intro, by Alex Lifeson. I'd give this 8/10. 10. Fly By Night - never really got this. Supposed to be good, but I've yet to find out what makes it special. I'd give this 7.5/10. 11. Finding My Way - pretty good, but not one of Rush's best. If you want an epic song, try Xanadu. I'd give this 8/10.

Brilliant. Geddy Lee, the bassist, has an incredible voice. Modern rock lovers will find his voice hard to listen to, but some people like me will love it. It has an incredible range, and is sort of 'virtuoso'. It sounds a little like Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin, but I think it is better.

This is possibly one of the greatest albums ever, but the joint best band (with Pink Floyd). Best songs are Something For Nothing, Xanadu, Closer To The Heart and 2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx. I love everything, from the instrumental geniuses that Rush are, to their complex and devastating lyrics. For lovers of classic rock e. g. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC and Queen, buy this! It it were lost or stolen, I'd buy 'Enter... Stage Left' and 'All The World's a Stage' because they are both two Rush live albums, combined have most of these songs. Rush are better live, and these albums are the best of all time. By this if you want, but if you want the best, by those two album, or better 'Different Stages' on Amazon.

Rush_fan2112
    peartdrummer
    Rush_fan2112 wrote: The best songs by the best band...how can you resist this temptation(im refering to the song if anyone gets it)
    That is the song Resist is it not? That song is not on the album.
    RuShRoCkS!
    For the first guy, the earliest song on here is Finding My Way than Anthem than Fly By Night THAN Bastille Day! and 2112 is probly there most epic running an even colosolerer(?) 20 min. They just took the first two parts and put them on here. I'm sure if you listen to the whole song, you'll like it better(if you like "epic").