Signals review by Rush

• Released: Aug 31, 1982
Rush: Signals

Rush has a knack of developing a different sound for each album they produce. Signals is no exception. The writing started in 1981 during sound checks on the Moving Pictures tour and was released in 1982. The reliance on the keyboard on this album is very noticeable and is apparent in the Such songs such as the widely known Subdivisions, The Weapon, and Countdown. They have kept their progressive quality intact while writing normal length songs. In fact, The Weapon (Part 2 of "Fear"} is the last epic Rush wrote in their career so far. Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart are all great musicians and need no introduction.

Neil Peart as always does an excellent job at writing lyrics. Not only does Rush's music set them apart from a normal band, their lyrics also does the job. The lyrics are very varied in this album. Such as social issues (Subdivisions), science fiction (Digital Man), retrospect (Losing It), and real world events (Countdown) are explored. It is amazing how Neil Peart's lyrics fit well with Geddy Lee's singing style and voice.

Overall, Signals is a masterpiece that I believe is under looked because of it's critically acclaimed predecessor, Moving Pictures. It's an underrated work of art that deserved more attention. In fact, I am surprised that this album wasn't even an option when I first started this review. I had to choose "Other" and type "Signals" out in the text box below. It's hard to compare any Rush album to each other since each have a unique sound but I can sat that it is my personal favorite. There are some songs on here that would probably be recognized by people that are not that familiar with Rush such as Subdivisions and New World Man. This doesn't mean that the rest of the songs aren't just as good. The Analog Kid is an upbeat song with a nice soft keyboard chorus. Chemistry has a nice flow and some interesting lyrics. Digital Man is probably one of Geddy Lee's best writing on the bass. The Weapon (Part 2 of "Fear") is a longer song which seems like an experimentation on the keyboards. Losing It is a slower emotional song with a guest appearance by Ben Mink on the Electric Violin. Countdown, in my opinion, is among the most underrated Rush songs of all time. The atmosphere that this song creates is so amazing, you can literally visualize in your mind the Space Shuttle launching from the ground, even at first listen. Not to mention Geddy Lee's wonderful keyboard playing in that song. There is only one flaw I see with this album. I feel that the production quality was a step back from Moving Pictures. It just sounds a little too soft. All in all, if you are a Rush fan you most likely already have this album but if you are a person who just likes Rush, there is no reason to pass this precious gem up. If this album was stolen from me or I lost it, first thing I'll do is go out and buy it again. If you like music in general, get this album. You will not regret it.

Brendan.Clace
    There are SOOO many good songs on this album. This is a personal favourite from my RUSH collection. Nothing can beat Alex's dubbed vocals in Subdivions, to Analog Kid, and Digital Man..... LOVE IT!!!!!
    The_Paranoia
    exos308 wrote: Rush SUX!!!!!
    GTFO. Subdivisions is my favorite song of all time. Signals is an amazing album. One of their bests.
    tompetty12
    this is by far one of rush's greatest works. Moving Pictures is my favorite though, with this a close 2nd
    Mobius Man
    Another swert Rush album, as they all are. This is my 2nd fav in the 80s era, only to badass Moving Pictures.
    Jujiman
    Signals has two of my favorite Rush tunes Analog Kid and Digital Man are both classics.
    Deathbass89
    its a rush record so you know that its gonna be amazing and that it will be money well spent
    Definitely, thanks for reading my review guys.
    nathan7007