Snakes & Arrows review by Rush

• Released: May 1, 2007
Rush: Snakes & Arrows

Rush has always been known as having three of the greatest musicians to their respected instrument. Neil Pert rocking on the drums. Alex Lifeson tearing up the guitar. Geddy Lee pounding bass guitar. This album is no different. While Alex Lifeson could have done a bit more with his parts, Geddy's bass is amazing in the entire album. Very complex and interesting. Neil Pert does a great job on drums, as well. Hitting just about every drum, cymbol, and crash he can find. Snakes and Arrows has a few upbeat songs, notably Far Cry, but the rest of the songs sound very depressing and sad. Not that that's a bad thing, because the songs can still rock.

The lyrics to this album are very interesting. Based mostly on Neil Peart's books, the lyrics can be very depressing... but I guess that could be expected after the horrible events occuring in Peart's life recently. With the loss of both his wife and daughter, the album goes through his different emotions. There are three instrumentals on the album, each telling their own story without the lyrics. Geddy sounds just as he did 30 years ago. His voice hasn't changed at all and he sounds comfortable with the tone and mood in each song, singing out confidently.

The album boasts just one single, Far Cry, but could definitely support more. Notably, tracks 2 and 3 "Armor And Sword" and "Working Them Angels". "Armor And Sword" features an acoustic guitar, while "Working Them Angels" features a heavy electric guitar. The song "The Main Monkey Business" is a rather lengthy instrumental, but has a heavy sound and sounds really cool. "Bravest Face" is my second favorite track (second to Far Cry) and it is followed with "Good News First", another well-written track. Overall, Rush hasn't lost its touch and has brought some of the best hard rock I've heard from a classic band in a very long time. The album doesn't dissapoint and I recommend it.

mongo_man
    I really liked this new ablum, and I look forward to the Rush concert in Norway! and I allready got tickets so ROCK 'N' ROLL ALL NIGHT, AND PARTY EVERYDAY! but there were a few bit boring songs... but many good too
    Sebz