Snakes & Arrows review by Rush

• Released: May 1, 2007
Rush: Snakes & Arrows

This is Rush's first album since 2002 and it proves that after 33 years, they still have it, if not even more of it. The songs on this record are very dynamic and diverse. They have some soft songs and some heavier songs. There is also 3 instrumentals that go through a range of styles. The music on this album sounds nothing like anyone else. The skill these musicians posess is huge but they don't just shred the hell out of you like a lot of bands today. They write great songs with catchy melodies and innovative playing.

Neil Peart's lyrics never seem to disappoint. They are not the typical sci-fi lyrics that are on most Rush albums, but they are still fantastic. They go great with the music because they capture the ambience created by the music. Some people may not like Rush because of Geddy Lee's unusual voice but I feel that it is just another part of what makes Rush Rush.

I would say this is at least in the top 3 Rush albums. It's just that awesome. I think the best songs would be Far Cry (the single), Malignant Narcissism, Good News First, and We Hold On. I love the complexity of the songs, especially the instrumentals. The drumming is just amazing. Neil Peart is the greatest drummer of all time. I would recommend buying 14 of these albums so if it got lost or stolen, you would never be without it.

\m/Torin\m/
    i love rush i hope this album is good. p.s. quit hatin on rush neal pert is the bets drummer to live. and geddy lee is a great bass player. lovin ya rush!!!
    hardrocker64
    I bought it. It is solid. Better than their last few. Not sure if it is a top 3 but good stuff.
    Cobalt Blue
    yeah i'm betting a lot of Rush haters just gave it a shitty rating without hearing anything from it. Kick ass album. I especially like the instrumentals. from the interviews I heard before the album comes out "Malignant Narcissism" was given the name inspired by a line in 'Team America:world police'... Geddy Recorded his part on a fret-less bass (which he said to have very little experience playing) and Neil didn't have his main drum set in the studio at the time, so he was playing on a 3 piece... yet somehow they still sound mind blowing.
    seventyXseven
    Its the fact they can't get over his voice ...this album blew my mind musically, and Neil Peart is still writing such moving lyrics its riduculous!
    fluffylump2
    this album is amazing. i love how they take such seemingly simple songs like "far cry" and "faithless" annd make them extraordinary. the album, however, needs many listens to fully appreciate.
    Kevin67
    i would have liked to see a bit more fancy guitar work but it's still amazing JULY 18 MOTHERF#@KERS!
    Nighthawk551
    It took me about three full listens to fully appreciate this album. I now give it a 9 out of 10. Brilliant work! Snakes and Arrows is the best album since Grace Under Pressure.
    FVD
    I just got Snakes and Arrows in the mail a couple days ago and WOW!!! What a record. Far Cry is brilliant. I agree with the catchy chorus. Armor and Sword, Working Them Angels, Spindrift and Faithless are some of the other favourites for me. Must go and learn Hope soon too. Score: 3.5/4 stars. P.S. It's depressing that people can't accept Geddy's vocals as they have always been seen as being original. Plus the music has always been top notch. A major factor that people are missing out. I'm just glad they're still playing out after 33 years. They still reach younger ears also and that's also an amazing thing. Keep on rocking guys. Rush music will never die.