Snakes & Arrows review by Rush

• Released: May 1, 2007
Rush: Snakes & Arrows

Being that it is Rush, the music was so strong and powerful. Two songs that really stood out were Far Cry and Malignant Narcissism. But to me, some of the songs sounded the same. Even though I favor their old material better, I really enjoyed this CD and hope that Rush still continues to make music throughout the years.

Since I liten to their older music, I'm used to the songs being written with a sci-fy, fantasy approach. The lyrics included on this CD blew my mind. It was based on Neal Peart's reflections on faith, and I feel that since he was writing personally, the songs are extra special. Geddy Lee has still got the vocals, even though they may not be as high as they used to. His singing was extraordinary on this album.

Again I listen to Rush's older music more, and I'm used to the classic, bluesy rock feel. This album has a newer rock kind of feeling behind it, which I don't mind. It's amazing how Rush changes with the decade of music and still manages to rock out. My favorite songs on this album are Far Cry, Malignant Narcissism, The Way the Wind Blows, and Bravest Face. As a bassist, I really enjoyed the bass lines established by Geddy Lee, as with any Rush song. The only think I didn't like was that some, not all of the songs sounded a little similar. If I would lose this CD I would definitely head out to the store the very next day to buy it again.

throwback92
    due, i l;ove rush, but this album is a farcry from its prog roots and what i expected in general. it's good, but not rush good. it's just dull riffing that i would expect more of a metal band band than rush. while the lyrics are good, i think rush has exhausted its capability to create original musical material. however, the songs were good live.
    jay15944
    RonRotc wrote: It's not that people don't like Rush, it's the fact that the music has changed. Their best album had to be 2112. After that they started to go with the flow, which is why people stopped listening to them. But my 2 favorites off Snakes and Arrows are Far Cry and Armor and Sword.
    You must be thinking of some other band there Sally, cause Rush's greatest success critically and commercially came 5 years after 2112. And if you consider 'Moving Pictures', 'Hemispheres', 'A Farewell to Kings', 'Signals, and 'Permanent Waves' albums that were made by 'going with the flow', then man you one dumb little kid. 2112 was successful, but it can't even compare to the success that was 'Moving Pictures'. Moving Pictures still sells 15,000 copies a week. 2112, as great as it is (and it is GREAT), just can't match that. As for S&A, not enough prog elements, but 'MalNar', 'The Main Monkey Business', 'Far Cry', 'Hope', 'The Way the Wind Blows', and 'We Hold On' are some great tracks. 8/10. Requires repeated listenings.
    The Knox
    Oh man, this concert was awsome. The music was loud, sound booming. Man, it was the best concert I had ever been to. Well, the first concert that I have ever been to
    rhcpfan27
    this is a fantastic album, and it really got me into rush . i noticed that the guitar work on this album is a lot easier than a lot of the others, and also, after figuring out a few of the songs, i noticed they center around the c chord A LOT. has anyone else noticed that?
    XAnnoDomineX
    It took me awhile for the album to grow on me but once I played it for like the third time around, I began to like it more and more. "Faithless" has to be one of the best songs on there.