Snakes & Arrows Live review by Rush

• Released: Apr 15, 2008
Rush: Snakes & Arrows Live

If there's anything that defines Rush over the last 30 years, it's their live sound and on this CD they deliver. Every instrument is more pronounced, you hear everything, every note played and every drum hit. The clarity of the whole performance actually surprised me at first, even when I saw them live both times you weren't able to hear every last detail (mainly because they were so loud, but on this CD you won't miss a thing these 3 guys play. I also noticed that ever since Alex Lifeson started using Gibson Les Pauls as his main guitars, his live sound has been huge and much clearer compared to when he mainly used Paul Reed Smith. Geddy's bass rings out loud and clear and his voice sounds pretty good considering his age and that fact that the show was recorded so late in their tour. Neil's drums and especially his drum solo are nothing short of fantastic.

Anyone who knows about Rush knows that they have some very insightful and intelligent lyrics. Mr. Peart is great at taking his own personal philosophies and putting them down on paper like a true author. Most people including myself listen to Rush for the lyrics just as much as for the instruments each man plays on.

This CD is a great representation of what you would get at a real Rush concert. I've seen them on the Snakes & Arrows tour twice already (and plan on going a third time) and I'm still listening to this CD over and over and loving it. The only one tiny problem I can find with the actual performance itself is that Alex's solos are a little sloppier compared to their past live performances I've seen, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the music (everyone has a bad day). The CD case and the booklet are pretty cool, and props to them for the "Austin Powers" reference in the booklet, which I won't spoil. Any true Rush fan should buy this CD if you want to hear what true music sounds like, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Dave_Straw
    perilouspete
    Being 19 years of age, I've been to probably like 20 or 30 concerts, and I have to say that Rush is one of the best shows I've ever seen.....the guys are all in their 50's and still kick the shit out of most bands out there today. I saw em in Milwaukee, such an awesome show....I really should buy this live album if it's good as you say it is, which I have no doubt of.
    RuShRoCkS!
    Mine too! I love life! The world is so great!!!!
    RuShRoCkS!
    Flying Couch wrote: I adore the setlist on this one, but I thought that R30 had better sound quality.
    At first I thought your name was Flying Crotch! lol
    medwards8820
    I am a hardcore Rush fan but i have to agree that this live album is played at a slower pace and dont sound as good as the other live albums Rush have done in the past, still good to hear mission,circumstances live today. Rock on.
    peaceonearth52
    spekk wrote: peaceonearth52 wrote: Dave_Straw wrote: I want it, 18 and already listening to the likes of Rush...my childhood has been fantastic... im 14 and have been listining to rush since i was 11. the first song i eever heard was spirit of radio. i saw them in trenton in 07, and im seeing them in philly again this summer. there is no need to show him up with your immaturity, peaceonearth. he was just saying he appreciates that he got into them so young! chill out, eh?
    i'm not freaking out hah. if it sounded like that sorry. i was saying how i got into them while i was young. i was just comparing my young rush experiences. everybody else was comparing so jeez, you need to chill
    spekk
    xmetallinut84x
    who cares how old everyone is geez! haha Rush is amazing simply put and the reason why they are still around putting out kick ass albums and live shows is well, because they're Rush, all there is to it. I'm looking forward to picking up the new live album for sure and I cant wait to see them in Mansfield in June.
    Mobius Man
    It's a great pickup, even if a lot of people don't like live albums. I saw them in Scranton last year, and I'll be seeing them again in Hershey this July!
    Marlux102
    listening to them since i was 5 (now 21) best song off their new Album is by far Farcry. overall fav song though would be Dreamline, most amazing song i've heard live. def gonna get this.
    peaceonearth52
    limefan913
    I want this CD. It ought to be awesome. Oh, and I'm finally getting a chance to see Rush in Pittsburgh in early July (the 2nd?). I got seats too
    BlisteringDDj
    TDAJGuitarist wrote: I am 17 and I have been listening to rush for years...
    axelaxe wrote: I'm 16 and I have been listening to Rush since 1974
    sTarbuck wrote: Jasonbts wrote: I love Rush!!! (saw the first date of the tour in ATL!) The only problem with this album is that, apart from tracks off the S&A album, all other tracks are perfect repeats from past tours. No new licks. No new elemnets. Just the studio version with a croud in the background. Rush still rocks though. I'm kinda agreed and against this at the same time! I understand what you're saying, but things like the solo to "A Passage To Bangkok" wasn't EXACT. I'm 17, listening to Rush for about 2-3 years! Was at the Manchester date of Snakes and Arrows, best gig I've ever been to! What I personally love about this live CD sound as opposed to the previous R30 is that it doesn't sound OVERLY refined, in my opinion. Reminds me a bit of the old "Exit..Stage Left" shows. Hope SOMEBODY understands what I'm saying!
    Sonic Blast wrote: I'm 15. I love Rush and wish I could cover them often with my band, but it's not the other guys' style. I saw the Salt Lake City show last year. It was amazing. It redefined my view of them... The concert as again amazing. I wish i could see it again.
    When did the age matter?
    Kevin Saale
    It was a great show other than the fact that they played songs off the snakes and arrows album.
    Themaddoctor
    gordonbombay wrote Was at the Manchester date of Snakes and Arrows, best gig I've ever been to!
    I second that. It was a freaking amazing gig.
    JakTheGuitarMan
    i saw rush at the beggining of their tour in tampa it was a great show i loved every second of it i bought snakes and arrows at the concert and now i gotta buy this
    Sonic Blast
    sTarbuck
    Brandon860 wrote: I honestly wasn't very impressed with sound quality of this album when compared to their other live releases. It seemed a little off, like too low. Also, some songs (most noticed: Spirit of Radio, Limelight, and Dreamline) were played at a slower pace at that show than when I seen them in September. Good album overall, but really it's only worth it for Snakes and Arrow songs, Neil's solo, and the encore set. I'd reccommend just picking up Rush in Rio and Snakes and Arrows.
    I'm not too sure. Rush in Rio is good for hearing what a Rush AUDIENCE can do, IMHO Y'know, the defining moment of it all, for a lot of listeners, is YYZ in Rio. Which WAS brilliant!! However, I didn't like the sound quality of Rio (by Rush's standards, anyway). Songs like One Little Victory sounded quite messy, whereas Snakes and Arrows Live is almost as if the sound has been "taken care of", if you understand me? However, it's just my point of view! I loved the album for the amount of "lost jewels" that were recovered! Mission, Circumstances, Digital Man etc.
    Brandon860
    gordonbombay
    That's what Rush brings live though. Everything they play is almost studio quality live. I've read that before their shows, Neil Peart puts on headphones backstage and plays through the entire set front to back, and has been playing their songs pretty much the exact same from the start
    sTarbuck
    Jasonbts
    edbert
    you have not lived until you see Rush live, I got to go for free and got down to the 8th row, the whole time I was in awe that I was 20 feet from Geddy Lee, also say myself on the big screen during Spirit of the Radio I need to pick this album up...