Test For Echo Review

Rush: Test For Echo
Release Date: Sep 9, 1996
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Hard Rock, Prog-Rock/Art Rock
After flirting (albeit mildly) with alternative rock on Counterparts, Rush returns to classic progressive rock on Test for Echo.
 9.8
 9.5
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
Test For Echo Reviewed by: Promothus, on december 14, 2007

Sound: After a few years of not playing because of his newborn daughter, Geddy Lee finally started to play bass again. When Geddy, Alex, and Neil all got back together, it was awkward, but, they got the feel of it. When you listen to Test For Echo, you think off the bat "Oh No, synths!" In reality, there is not that much, if not any keyboards used in this at all. Mind you, this is after Counterparts of 1993, where they were getting away from it. The drums are amazing, the multiple guitars used, the different tunings from just standard, just plain amazing! C G C F A D the tuning used as the first guitar on Totem. It's hard to believe, but, that is the true tuning. Half the World is considered a filler song. Why? It's like The Color of Right, a somewhat overlooked song. They are both great songs, true meanings. This whole album is catchy, and has a great replay value! // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics. One word, amazing. Totem, my most favorite song on the album, has neat lyrics. They are the catchy kind, and sometimes it'll make you wonder "why would they make a song about different gods, astrology, and stuff?" That's not what they were aiming for. It's just like Half the World. Neil explains there is a half to everything. The beginning of Totem, and as it progresses, you can tell the lyrics were chosen perfectly for this beat and work of music. Same thing with Resist. Like most Rush albums, it'll make you want to sing along. And it's scary to see me and my mother singing the songs together, and realizing it after "The Color of Right". // 10

Overall Impression: It's a very different album of it's time. Some expected a more heavy album then what Counterparts was, but, it had been years since they had played music together. They were ready, fresh, so, it was like a test. Trying to create something new, a different sound, using the multiple guitar magic. I love a lot of this album, I can't think of anything I would hate off this album, I always listen to it for some reason. A great replay value. My friend's girl friend told me that 'Test For Echo' was her favorite album out of any album/music song she had ever listened to. // 10

Comments