The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987 review by Rush

• Released: Feb 11, 2003
Rush: The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987

Basically all the best of the best on one little compact disc. Who knew that one little CD could boast so much insightful and respectful music from the ages of kings long ago. The style here remains the same as classic rush, so you "super-fans" can sit fast. One of the best Greatest Hits CD's since Elvis was discovered.

The lyrics, like all Rush are all just so moving with anthems such as "Fly By Night", "Working Man" and "Closer To The Heart." Would you be able to resist such a CD? And tell me this, who can resist rocking along with the opening guitar riff in "The Spirit Of Radio"? The singer (Geddy Lee) has one of the most distinctive voices in rock since Bob Dylan and Neil Young with a high pitch mixed in with alot of heart and soul, Geddy can steal your heart.

To other Greatest Hits albums, this one definetly can stand strong against any takers. The big osngs are obviously "Fly By Night", "Working Man", "Closer To The Heart", "Limelight", "Freewill" and "Tom Sawyer". I love all of the great guitar riffs created by guitarist Alex Lifeson and the complex, intricate drumming of Neil Peart. If this CD was stolen I wouldn't need to worry because I bought an extra copy just in case.

almighty bowl
    working man is a great tab for beginning guitarists because it covers a whole range of skills to learn on the guitar
    gljbass
    GeddyLee wrote: Everything sounds pretty good there. Except in the lyircs. They're moving, yes, but come on. Working Man? That was before Neil joined the band as lyricisit/drummer god. The lyrics to Working Man are dull. It's a good song, but come on. If there is any moving lyrics on that album, it would be Subdivisions.
    haha, why do you think a majority of the song is a solo?
    scottishmob
    why the hell are you reviewing a greatest hits album?! Are you stupid or something?
    heartbreaker101
    peartdrummer wrote: Before Neil Peart, Rush lyrics were probably just scribbled down.
    its funny cause its true. Prior to going into their first studio recording, their then drummer John Rutsey was supposed to have lyrics written down for some songs but he didn't do it so Geddy Lee pretty much had to throw some together, still kick ass music though!
    The McManus
    If you don't have any Rush, you need to buy this CD. It is basically the best of the best, not everything is on there, but it is one hell of a sampler Its like $10 at Wal Mart, and you really need to have this CD... Rush changed my life
    patrickdenneyto
    Rush is the greatest band of ALL time. its a proven fact. haha. but seriously they are. I love everything aobut this CD and i do agree with GeddyLee up there that the working man lyrics are kind of dull. but yes it is still a fine rocking song
    peartdrummer
    FreewayJam wrote: This is just getting more and more pathetic...
    If you don't like Rush, why do you check out their reviews?
    tanman
    FreewayJam wrote: Why in the world would you buy two copies of a greatest hits CD? For the same price or less you easily could've gotten two or three real Rush albums that will give you a much better perspective on the band than some 'hits' compilation. Not that I condemn 'best of' compilations entirely, but focusing this much praise on the songs just makes you seem like a hypocrite.
    Rush is a band that is best served by listening to albums in their entirety. A greatest hits compilation does not do a band like this justice.
    harleymcgoth
    Rush is the best band ever. Its hard to select only a handful of their best since they have so many great songs. this cd definately did a good job in slecting them
    distort11
    I think this is a great CD and its always good to jam along to. It shows the variety and brilliance of this band. Rush is an overall amazing band with great instrumental skills. Keep on Rocking.
    fluffylump2
    well, i think they're all pretty sweet. pretty much my favorite lyrics right now.
    GeddyLee
    fluffylump2
    the greatist band ever! this cd introduced me to rush! awesome! i thought they were fronted by a black woman at the time... yay!
    fluffylump2
    best band ever! to me at least. this cd introduced me to rush when i didn't have a clue who they were - i actually thought they had a black woman as their singer. Geddy is the best.
    topdawg84
    rush is friggin amazing. i have that cd and it hasn't come ot of my cd player yet. rock on! \m/ rush \m/
    rush4life
    Rush rules, but as a person who is trying to own all of their CD's, I hate all of the greatest hits ones, and I've given up getting those ones now.
    FreewayJam
    RuShRoCkS!
    Are you really Geddy Lee?????