Gemini, Her Majesty review by Rx Bandits

• Released: Jul 22, 2014
Rx Bandits: Gemini, Her Majesty

After a long 5 years between albums, RX Bandits has finally released this gem. Although the album is a bit simpler compared to their last album "Mandala," RX Bandits have included, a variety of energetic melodies and shown excellent use of dynamics to make this a great album. This album is a far cry from their previous work with the loss of their brass section and cutting ties with their ska roots. However, "Gemini, Her Majesty" is still easily identifiable as RX Bandits due to the Latin influences in the guitar and complex time signatures. The album shows some growth into the psychedelic with songs like "Will You Be Tomorrow," however, the overall progression is into progressive rock.

I have never really had much interest in the lyrics of RX Bandits songs and "Gemini, Her Majesty" is no different. RX Bandits have always had a much bigger focus on instrumentation than the lyrics and mainly use the lyrics as an extra vehicle for melody. Having said that, I found the songs "Ruby Cumulous," "Fire to the Ocean" and "Meow! Meow! Space Tiger," despite their names have half decent lyrics. There is not much in the way of a message in many of the songs, but, I find that these songs have a bit more of an emotional drives in them, which really has improved the lyrics in these songs.

Compared to RX Bandits previous three albums, "Mandala," "...And the Battle Begun" and "The Resignation," "Gemini, Her Majesty" is a fairly mediocre album, however, I hold these albums in very high regard. The feel of the album is close to that of "The Resignation" but unfortunately lacks in many aspects in comparison, but this album is a highly enjoyable listen and I would recommend it to most people. I believe this album to be a bit more conventional and easy to listen to, making this album ideal for first time listeners to ease them into the complex rhythms and technical excellence that is RX Bandits.

vppark2
    User ratings 4.5? lol UG needs to get rid of the user ratings, it's getting ridiculous, because this album def deserves at least a 6 or 7.