Kiss And Tell Review

Released: Jul 27, 2004
Label: RCA
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk-Pop, Indie Rock
It's a solid album, stylistically more friendly but not necessarily mind-blowing. They're making progress and so far, so good.
 9.4
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Kiss And Tell Reviewed by: Malin Cobain, on july 18, 2005

Sound: "Kiss & Tell" is the third album of Sahara Hotnights and you can really hear that Sahara Hotnights wanted a new, poppier and catchier sound. In interviews they've said that the CD turned out to be just like they wanted it to be and I can sure say that they really made it. This CD might be totally different from their two first albums "C'mon Let's Pretend" and "Jennie Bomb," but this is not any less better, even though I'm the kind of girl who prefer real rock in front of Avril Lavigne for example. I sure have to say that "Kiss & Tell" really made me fall for a new genre power pop! Hallelujah! That's the new word on everybody's lips after listening to "Kiss & Tell". Power pop! God bless power pop! Throw the muscle rock away for a little while, just put your "Jennie Bomb" record on the shelf a few minutes and let's dance through "Kiss & Tell". Not because I prefer to dance, but when you're listening to this record, it really makes you want to put on your dance shoes and dance, dance, dance all night long. Erhm? All night long? Here comes the sad thing about the record, each song is about 2 minutes long and thought it's only eleven tracks, the CD is only 30 minutes long. But who really cares, put your stereo on "repeat all" and listen to the CD over and over again. I've been listening to it since it was released last year and I still can't get enough of the pop songs "Who Do You Dance For?" "Walk On The Wire" and "Hangin'" and so on. I love the sound on this record! It makes me wanna scream "more." // 10

Lyrics: Maria (lead singer) has a wonderful voice that's nothing new to me though and she isn't less wonderful on this CD. On the two first records Maria is known for almost screaming, taking a very high tone scale and many people disliked it though they thought it was to "shouty." So what? It's rock! Hello?! But at this record Maria took the tone scale a little lower and she told us in interviews that she was told to sing in the same tone scale as she's talking, so there you have the reason to why "Kiss & Tell" is so calm. So now, I can finally sing along to those songs without feeling shit in my throat afterwards. Lovely. As I wrote before, this CD is way more catchier than the first two records that they've released, and it's cool. Besides the new genre of the group, Maria (writes all lyrics in the group) started to write even cuter songs about her or someone else's love life. Not because Maria has been writing totally political songs before, but they sure were stronger and cooler than the lyrics on this record. I don't blame Maria for being a bad songwriter or anything, because she's not, I mean she's great on this record too. However, I personally like tough lyrics, either about political or stuff like that. But I bet Maria writes what she likes and what's in her mind so I can't diss her too much about that. "Kiss & Tell" is so calm. So now I can finally sing along to those songs without feeling shit in my throat afterwards. Lovely. As I wrote before, this CD is way more catchier than the first two records that they've released, and it's cool. But besides the new genre of the group, Maria (writes all lyrics in the group) started to write even cuter songs about her or someone else's love life. Not because Maria has been writing totally political songs before, but they sure was stronger and cooler than the lyrics on this record. I don't blame Maria for being a bad songwrite or anything, because she's not, I mean she's great on this record too. But I personally like tough lyrics, either about politicals or stuff like that. But I bet Maria writes what she likes and what's in her mind so I can't diss her too much about that. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is a great summer album and it really works live though all songs are more or less catchy sing-a-long songs. So don't forget about this album when you're in the city looking for new records. // 8

Comments