Chemical City review by Sam Roberts

• Released: Apr 18, 2006
Sam Roberts: Chemical City

This is a great new album from Canadian artist Sam Roberts! Chemical City is very different from his first album. Lovely guitar work and Sam vocals are calming and awesome! The best songs on this album are "Bridge To Nowhere", "With A Bullet", "Bootleg Saint" and "Mind Flood". Sam has some much longer songs on this album (Mind Flood - 8:09), and it is a very fun and upbeat album. 70s, 80-ish is the feel to this album with a nice modern flare to it! The guitar work on this album is very unqiue. Sam keeps to the interesting and "different" strumming styles. Great chord changes and all of the songs on this album are catchy and enjoyable. No song is the same on this album, each song has its own special quality. Whether its the guitar, the vocals, the lyrics or something else, this album just keeps you interested.

The lyrics are actually very cool! I love the lyrics in this album. They are fun and interesting. I am impressed with the lyrics in this album, they really fit the songs! Fun to sing along with too. If your a lyric person, well, this isn't exactly your perfect lyrical album. The lyrics are good and all, but not spectacular. For most songs there are a lot of "canadian" references and he sticks to his origin of Canada and writes most songs concerning his childhood in Canada, women, or just Canadian heritage in general.

Well, my overall impression of this album is that it is a very fun and impressive. I couldn't expect any less from Sam Roberts. It has a little bit of everything. Nice acoustic, clean rock, new age rock, retro rock and soft rock/soothing lyrical peices. It is very different from his other album and I like the change. Sam expands his musical talent and should please more people. "And I can't guarantee that you won't get stoned..." Bridge To Nowhere.