November-Coming-Fire review by Samhain

Samhain: November-Coming-Fire

If you ask around for a good deathrock album Samhain's November-Coming-Fire would certainly be one of the first recommendations that you will get. This album is one of the best if not the best deathrock/horror punk albums ever made, the band's previous two albums are also great but November-Coming-Fire is their best work. Even for a punk band Samhain are energetic and lively, this is most prominent on the faster songs like "Kiss of Steel" but the slower and creepier songs like "To Walk the Night" have a lot charm to them. Most songs are around 1:30 to 2:30 minutes in length, "Human Pony Girl" is only "long" song on the album. London May and Danzig took turns recording the drums, both are capable drummers but May did all the interesting songs.One of my favorite thing abut this album is, of course, Eerie Von one of my favorite bassists. Unlike most punk bassists he is quite active and he does not stick to the old rule of playing the root note over the guitar chord.

Danzig is not the most talented singer out there, he doesn't have that much range but he makes up for that with presence and a lot of it. Most of the up tempo songs have a chorus line which you can shout all day long.One of the more memorable ones is "Let the Day Begin". The lyrics focus on horror films and other spooky things. Corny? Perhaps, but that's the way it goes in deathrock.

Even if you keep in mind that it is the 80s and punk in the 80s the guitar tone is horrible, there is too much flutter for it to be fully audible, that's the albums only major flaw. One of the minor flaws is the five minute long song "Human Pony Girl" which does have its moments but drags along the rest of the time. I like most of the songs but "Let The Day Begin", "Birthright", "Diabolos '88" and "November's Fire" are my favorites.

krvolok
    Love it to death.Ah it's a quite heavy dose of great punk from back in the day.I am very sentimental abut deathrock and punk in general.
    KaneRobot
    That's not a flaw. If the guitar was prominent/sharper/"better" the album loses a lot of its personality and appeal. Same with the drums and guitar on Initium.