Cosmic Universal Fashion review by Sammy Hagar

• Released: Nov 18, 2008
Sammy Hagar: Cosmic Universal Fashion

It's hard to not be a little jolted after listening to the title track on Sammy Hagar's latest solo record Cosmic Universal Fashion. That particular song, as the name might suggest, is a little out there and unearthly in comparison to what the former Van Halen frontman has delivered in the past. But fans of Hagar's work from the 70s through the early 2000s should not fear -- with the exception of Cosmic Universal Fashion, the rest of the CD is rock and roll all the way. That doesn't mean that Hagar is a one-note musician with 10 songs that sound exactly the same. To the contrary, you get a little bit of everything -- from bluesy rock (that's aided by the help of one famous bearded gentleman) to a Jimmy Buffett-esque track. If the song Cosmic Universal Fashion does anything, it certainly gets your attention. Apparently co-written with Iraqi rocker Steven Lost via an online collaboration, the song has a slightly spastic, sonic riff in the intro and features crazy little riffs throughout. It definitely has more of a nu metal sound to it, and it will be interesting to see what vintage Hagar enthusiasts think of it. Honestly I haven't made up my mind because it does catch you off guard and throws some pretty cool guitar work out at immediately. In terms of fresh new material, Cosmic Universal Fashion is standout on the album. The album features impressive guest musicians, with lifelong collaborator Michael Anthony, The Cult's Billy Duffy, Velvet Revolver's Matt Sorum (also a Cult alum), and ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons offering their talents. With each case, the musicians' influence is heard heavily in the song. Loud features Duffy and Sorum, who do inject quite a bit of The Cult into the chorus (particularly in terms of guitar effects). Even so, Loud is still all of Hagar's own and is essentially a straightforward rock and roll song. In the case of Gibbons, his influence oozes out of Switch On The Light, a slide guitar-driven blues number that is at it's best when the ZZ Top frontman lays down a few vocals himself. There's just something about that low growl of Gibbons that adds instant cool to any song. Without the guest musicians, Cosmic Universal Fashion is surprisingly still a strong offering from Hagar. It caters to a variety of his fans, from those who loved the Van Halen days to his current stint with the life-loving Waboritas/Wabos. When The Sun Don't Shine is a track that does make for a suitable successor to Margaritaville, while Peephole is a dirty rock tune that utilizes plenty of that wonderful wah pedal. For a big finish, Hagar has given us a live acoustic version of the Van Halen hit Dreams, which surprisingly has a very unique feel from the original. Dreams transitions into a sing-along of Cabo Wabo, which does an effective job of relaying the vibe of a modern-day Hagar concert. And oddly enough, also included on the album is a cover of The Beastie Boys' Fight For Your Right To Party that isn't overly annoying, and that's a nice surprise in itself.

Lyrically Cosmic Universal Fashion feels like a nod to all of Hagar's musical phases. I'm On A Roll evokes images of I Can't Drive 55, while Peephole has somewhat of a Poundcake feel. Of course, there's a good number of rock tracks that could fit into any other rock phase -- Montrose, Van Halen, or otherwise -- but you also get the socially concerned side of Hagar as well. The title track has more of a cynical feel that addresses the disconcerting state of the world, and that theme actually carries over to the album images (a polar bear, pumpjack, and collecting trash all adorn the inside). Don't worry about Hagar getting overly preachy, though. The straight-up rock tracks absolutely outnumber any lyrics dedicated to environmental or political issues.

As one of the big voices in rock, Hagar has proven himself in the past to be a frontman who will get the job done musically. Over the years, his solo material has been hit or miss, but Cosmic Universal Fashion does show that Hagar is not remaining stagnant. Besides Hagar sounding incredible on every track, there are extremely memorable riffs that pop up in a number of songs. I'm still on the fence about the title track, which is a tad bizarre, but at least Hagar is trying something unique. While it was a nice touch to bring Duffy, Sorum, and Gibbons on board, the album is strong throughout and that credit goes to Hagar himself.

Fender6
    TheEsupremacy
    Bought the new Sammy cd yesterday. It's really good. You can tell who the true talent of Van Halen is/was. CUF is a great cd. I highly recommend it if you're a Sammy fan.
    Veritas69
    Fender6 wrote: I always thought that the band "Van Halen" was better with David Lee Roth, and now Van Halen is even better because they reunited. It will be interesting to listen to some of the songs off of this album. I'm not going to be biased and assume the worst because it is a Sammy Hagar solo album, but I'll actually examine the album. Hopefully, it is good.
    they actualy havnt reunited cause micheal anthony's didnt join with em cause he doesnt like david or something like that
    mnhockey99
    UG Team wrote: the former Van Halen frontman is still a veritable force in the rock world.
    Maybe in Thailand...seriously, this guy was done in the mid 90's. So tired of old rock stars trying to hang on.
    WKIP69lol
    I like both terms of Van Halen. Sammy had the talent, Dave had the attitude. I have only heard a couple of songs off of CUF but they are sweet.
    filthylittleboy
    b-rock34
    filthylittleboy wrote: SHAVE YOUR STASH LOL agree with mnhockey99 sheesh! don't people move on? like... dude, you're an annoying singer...
    I hate to tell you kids this, but retired rock star neverland doesn't exsist. You kids think that popular musicians should disappear into oblivian and then sit around in their mansions doing nothing. Sammy is a musician. That's what he does...make music. He has every right to keep doing what he does! He'll be making music til he can't do it anymore (which will probably be his death). Life doesn't end at 30, people. It gets better!
    tmpc45
    Sammy may be older but he's always been a rocker. Sammy is just a likable guy. just dont ask Eddie. First concert 1977 Philadelphia Spectrum. 16yrs old Lineup: Montrose.(Sammy), Rush, Robin Trower.