The Essential Red Collection review by Sammy Hagar

• Released: Aug 10, 2004
Sammy Hagar: The Essential Red Collection

Some of the songs sound like love songs put through distorted guitars, rather than acoustic guitars. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes it's not. It really depends on what mood you're in. Not all the songs deal with love, however. "Heavy Metal", "Mas Tequila", and "I Can't Drive 55" are probably the farthest thing from love songs that you're going to get. Three of the tracks are from soundtracks, and it sure beats buying those three CD's just to get the Sammy Hagar songs. They make good use of the guitar and Sammy's vocals.

The lyrics fit very well with the music, and the music fits very well with the lyrics. Sammy's vocals are excellent. They add to the song quite a bit. The lyrics aren't complicated, very easy to understand, and fit the band well. If any other band tried to pull off the same songs Sammy did, I don't think it'd go so well.

It's "The Essential Red Collection", what more is there to say? It's certainly essential for any Sammy Hagar fan, and comes in a really cool red case. The most impressive songs on this CD are "Eagles Fly", "Heavy Metal", and "I'll Fall In Love Again". In contrast to each other, it shows how versitile Sammy and his band are. They can play heavy, (like in "Heavy Metal") they can play slower, (like in "I'll Fall In Love Again") and a mix of both (like in "Eagles Fly"). If lost/stolen, I would buy it agian before you can say, "Sammy Hagar". I've listened to every song on this album at least 4 times, and have only one complaint. Even though is is titled, "The Essential Red Collection", it does not include any material he made with Van Halen.

Stop Messin'
    My favorite Singer. This is a good collection, but Sammy has LOTS more great stuff that's not here. Let Sally Drive should be here too.
    evhmeanstreet
    When I saw Van Halen in 04 Sammy sang like he did 20 years ago. I have seen him twice since then and he is still great. If Van Halen ever goes on tour again it should be with sammy or ralph from the atomic punks. I love dave but he just can't sing anymore.