Come Close [DVD] review by Saosin

• Released: Mar 11, 2008
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Saosin: Come Close [DVD]

Even if you're not a fan of the material featured on Saosin's latest DVD/CD release Come Close, the visuals will likely leave you impressed. We are provided with concert footage that comes as close to the real thing as possible thanks to hi-definition cameras. If you've got any other concert DVDs in your library, the huge difference in quality should become immediately obvious. The15 songs taped at Philadelphia's The Theater of Living Arts back in November are entertaining on their own -- particularly when we hear unique takes on the band's older songs -- but it's the imagery that will likely hold your attention the most. The DVD and CD aren't mirror images in terms of the playlist, but there are 5 live tracks that do pop up on disk 2. While the live versions are strong, the highlights come with the alternative versions of 3rd Measurement In C, You're Not Alone (both of which are piano versions), and the new acoustic Mookies Last Christmas. Out of the 3, it's most interesting to hear 3rd Measurement in C, which was originally performed with a full electric setup by vocalist Anthony Green. While it may not live up to the expectations of Green's fans, it's still a fascinating version thanks to the stripped-down piano and big crescendo at the end. On the DVD end of it, the band does a solid job of keeping the momentum going during the hour-long performance, which includes the songs Lost Symphonies, I Can Tell, You're Not Alone, and Follow And Feel. There are also a few classic sing-along moments, with the best one featured in the encore Seven Years. The audio actually could have been a little better, and if you watch it on a laptop, you might have to turn it up pretty loud to get decent sound. When you do get the volume all worked out, there are some great little guitar nuances that come to the surface. And for the fans of both the Anthony Green and Cove Reber eras, having a large portion of the combined material all on one recording (now all sung by Reber) will likely be appreciated.

Content — 9
Saosin has given fans plenty of content for their buck with the 2-disk Come Close. While there won't be a whole of surprises during the show, you do get some new versions of songs from the self-titled album and the Translating The Name EP. The DVD disk features the hour-long concert of 15 songs, as well as 4 videos and some behind-the-scenes footage. Granted, when you break it down, there are really only 2 songs that have videos (a traditional video, a concert-inspired video, and behind-the-scenes footage for each song).

Production Quality — 10
This area gets the highest mark thanks to the hi-def camera work. You could have probably put an inexperienced cameraman in charge and it still would have looked incredible. The band definitely hired a talented crew to shoot the concert, however, and every camera angle is explored during the show.

Come Close does provide Saosin fans with some of the best-looking concert footage out there. There are not a lot of frills during the concert, and some might even feel that the hi-def work still doesn't add enough flavor to the actual songs performed. But in the end, fans should appreciate the down-to-earth nature that comes across during the onstage banter, not to mention the band's passion for playing. Saosin never ceases to put on an energetic, skillful performance, and it's just as entertaining to watch the enthusiastic audience (and it's sing-alongs).

lithium26
    i have it. love saosin but imo they suck live. actually the rest are great. especially alex. but cove kinda sucks live. recently watched them and was not impressed. the dvs sounded a bit better than when i saw them but seeing their live performance kinda made me disappointed.
    mephislespaul
    dude, just stop. AG quit Saosin and we have a great band now, Circa Survive. Now Cove it's in Saosin, and he is doing so well, I think it's one of the best who could enter Saosin and it's the great band that it is cause' of what they've done and are doing right now, not for some ex-leadvocal who quit it. I love both bands and both singers, they are great, but, it take us nowhere to keep talking about how bad sings Cove or things like that. He is great, thats why he is in Saosin.
    circa_survive
    About time. At least some people have an actual justified argument to my comment. I'll listen to them again and let you know what I think, but I had a few listens and thought his overall vocals were mediocre at the best of times. I just think he tries too much to be like Anthony that he ruins it. His live vocals are generally bad, well at least the both times I've seen them on tour and videos I've seen online he really doesn't seem to hit notes cleanly at all, or he just bails before he gets to the notes and lets the crowd sing them. Nice technique but when he does it in every song it becomes a lot less of a cover up. Perhaps it's because I used to be an old old Saosin fan, like the orignal Green material, as a band they were better. Also, Korn_dawg makes a good point, big deal about HD footage, nothing new to be honest. I'm glad people have opinions though and don't automatically argue with me about mine.
    korn_dawg
    The review focuses too much on the hi-def aspect of the DVD. That doesn't make a DVD good, and it sounds pretty stupid to harp on hi-def footage, like Saosin is the first band to put out a live DVD in hi-def or something ridiculous..
    darkjak22
    The DVD is amazing, The reason Cove sings Old Saosin songs is because the songs mean more to Beau, Justin, Chris and somewhat Alex. than they do Anthony obviously. They own the songs, Cove is the new guy, Cove gets the right to sing them now. I just hate it when he tries to copy Anthony, because he usually butchers the songs when he does. But when he sings them his own style, Like he does on 3rd Measurement (Piano) and the acoustic Mookies, He pwns them. I'm a fan of Saosin and Circa Survive equally.
    LAWLZ77
    as far as the Cove/Anthony argument goes look at it this way now there are two awesome bands (circa and Saosin) for people to listen to. I personally love both bands a lot. they're two of my personal favorites
    circa_survive
    How is it originality? He tries to copy Anthony Green's style, as well as using their old songs. Anthony is just a far better singer, live and on record.
    MetalMegaMan
    circa_survive wrote: Unfortunately I've got the C.D. and I feel it's a huge dissapointment. Cove's vocals are poor, fails to hit a lot of notes and is just generally a bad vocalist. At least in comparison to Anthony Green. Why Cove/Saosin feel the need to do the old songs when they will just be compared to Anthony and they're not a patch on Mr Green. I know it's harsh, but so very true. Listen to Mookies Christmas, Cove and Anthony's and you'll understand. Sorry, but this barely gets 1/5 vocally. Musically it's pretty cool but Cove lets them down.
    It's called originality. Why don't you try it out yourself "circa_survive", or just take it up the butt from Mr Green yah douche.
    OrangePossum
    I've got the CD and Cove says some stupid things to try and get the crowd going. and of course it does, i just think it sounds completely idiotic however, i'm going to be getting this eventually. the cd is only a couple of the songs plus 3 alternate versions of old songs, and they all sound pretty good to me.
    qotsa1998
    Awesome. I think ill buy it the next time i can. I really like the self-titled CD, but i havent heard anything from the Anthony Green CDs.
    The-13roken
    I really wanna buy this! I actually met them at projekt revolution last year. They're really cool guys!
    bazz_aaron
    man these guys need to release some new material... they have been touring their album for so long now